Chapter 8

"Hey guys," I say as I walk into the cortex. It's about four o'clock and everyone is already here. Except there was an absence of a strawberry blonde haired girl in the room.

"Sorry I'm late, I had work to do. Where's Dawn?"

"Dunno." Cisco says, "She didn't show up this morning. I think she is a little upset about what you said to her last night."

Oh my god, I forgot. Suddenly I feel so guilt I could cry. But I don't. I decide to call her and ask her to come to the lab so I could apologize.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Click. The line connects. "Hello?" I ask

A woman answers Dawn's phone. It isn't a voice that I recognize and my guilt turns to worry.

"Hello, who is this and who's phone is this?"

"Um.. My name is Barry Allen and I am calling for Dawn Richards."

"Small girl? Strawberry blonde hair?"

"Y-yes who is this?"

"Sir my name is Doctor Nat, I work at Central City medical hospital. I'm sorry but it seems that Dawn has been in an accident. Dawn was hit by a bus last night. You need to alert her family immediately."

My blood freezes and although my mouth is moving no sound is coming out.  Caitlin comes over to me and takes the phone. The nurse is filling her in on all the stuff she told me. She nods, hangs up the phone, and turns towards all of us. She doesn't give us any details but one.

"They said she has an eight percent chance of waking up." A seven foot wave of melancholy hits me full force and I stumble on impact.

«»«»«»«»«»«»«»

There are times when there are no word to describe the feeling that lies inside of you. Walking into the emergency room, I felt this feeling. Everything goes by in flashes. Desk. Nurse. Walk. Room. Dawn.

Everyone is in the same state that I am right now. Then we see Dawn. The youngest of us, Jesse, lets out a scream that makes me jump then she turns away and walks out of the room. My brain has the same reaction, but my body doesn't. The girl I once new to be strong and fierce looks so weak and fragile you could break her like a toothpick. Dawn's soft strawberry blonde hair is now a starchy mop of red. Her skin is puffy and she has a stitched cut running from her hair down to her temple. A tangled mess of tubes surrounds her nose and mouth and arms. Hospital blankets cover her body but if they didn't I bet she would look even worse. I sit in the chair next to her bed and Cisco sits across from me.

"This is not your fault," he says.

"Yes it is. She asked for me to take her home but I didn't. I could have prevented this"

My voice is haggard and raspy from the lump in my throat. I rest my elbows on my knees then look up toward the ceiling, sighing. Caitlin walks in the room with a confused look on her face and plops down on a seat opposite the from from me. She studies the floor and bounces her feet like she is trying to figure something out. And she is doing that thing where she bites her lower lip when something is bothering her.

"I called Iris. She and Wally will be here soon."

I nod.

"What's bothering you? I mean besides the fact that a bus ran over Da.." Cisco says trailing off.

"I was talking to the nurse who was on duty when Dawn was admitted here last night. She said that Dawn was conscious when she arrived and that she told her to tell me that 'It works with markers'. What do think she means?"