Chapter 5

"We have a problem," Cisco and I say simultaneously. We look at each other Cisco points to me as if to say 'you first'. "The man from yesterday? Yeah he's a Speedster."

"I know"

"And he either time travels or will in the future."

"How do you know?"

"Because he killed Dawn's parents," I say grimly. 

"This all sounds awfully familiar."

"Uh-huh."

"Not good."

"Uh-uh."

My phone buzzes. Joe. "Speaking of not good, there's been a homicide. I have to get down to the precinct."

>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

The scene was gruesome. A regular office stands clean as can be. The only irregularity is the blood soaked bones of a skeleton lying on the floor. Joe comes over to me and squats next to me. "So what happened here?"

I shift my weight so I am leaning over the body. "My best guess is that he was exposed to some type of acid. See these marks here on the floor?" I point to small piles of goo scattered around the bones. Joe nods. "I don't know what it is but look what happens when it touches an organic substance. I scoop up a small bit of the pile and press it against the little skin that the man has left. A high pitched sizzle fills the room and within seconds the skin is replaced with bone. 

"Oh my. Think it was a meta?"

"Maybe," I say.  I have to run tests to make sure so I go back to my lab. Once there I get straight to work. While the toxicology reports are coming in I sit down at my desk and take a breath. Maybe I can finally get some rest.  My phone rings. That was short lived. 

"Allen."

Before the person talks the reports come in. I scan over them at lightning speed. Uh-Oh.

"It's me," Cisco says. "Emergency operators called in some kind of acid spill? I don't know. You should go check it out."

"It's a meta."

"What?"

"The tox reports came in and- I don't have time to explain."

I rush out the door and to STAR Labs to grab my suit. Then I get to the scene. Standing in the center of a ring of bones is a man covered from head to toe in what looked like honey. The man stares at me with crazed eyes. Then he smiles, admiring what he has done to the people around me. Rage bubbles inside of me like a volcano about to explode. My feet hit the ground one by one gaining speed quickly. I feel the speed force surge through my veins. I then throw my fist at the disgraceful half human. As soon as I make contact to the man's face I hear a nasty sizzling. Then I feel the stinging of acid as it burns through my skin. I immediately remove my hand. The man smiles again and walks away while I scream in pain. 

I run as fast as my legs can take me back to the labs. "My hand!" I fall to the floor unable to control my pain. Then I remember the bodies and how fast they disintegrated. Panic floods my scenes and I only hear the muffled voices of Caitlin and Jesse trying to find ways to help. They don't know what to do, I realize. I take a look down at my hand and start to freak out a little more when I see bone starting to appear under bubbles of acid. Everything goes hectic in my mind; people's faces start to get blurry and their voices sound fuzzy. Then the sound of water fills the air and my hands immediately feel better. A hand rubs against my shoulder. 

"Barry? Hey, Barry. You're okay now," Dawn says in her soft and soothing voice. My eyes open and I see her face above me. She helps me sit up. I'm shaking and I feel sweat forming on my forehead. I look down at my hands again and then immediately look away because I cannot bear the sight. They are bleeding and burnt. If not for my fast healing I'm afraid they would be gone. Voices of Jesse, Caitlin, and Dawn fly over my head. 

"We should move him to the mead bay."

"I don't think he'll get up. He is going into shock," that's Dawns voice. 

"Let's just bandage his hands here." 

I hear Dawn whispering to me, telling me to hang in there. How does she act all grown up? If I was her in this situation I would be freaking out. 

"Barry, can you hear me?" Dawn says. I nod as best as I can. Voices and faces are getting clearer now and I can actually understand what Dawn is saying to me. 

"Your going to be fine, Barry. Don't worry, calm down."

I didn't realize that I was panicking. The soft rhythm of her voice calms me to the point where I can talk. I told them what chemical it was, how I figured out that the killer was a meta, the meta's skin. 

"The water was dangerous," Dawn says. "You could have caused a chemical reaction that blew this whole place up." 

"I know, but it was a chance I was willing to take." Caitlin's voice was grim. 

Jesse and Caitlin started to bandage my hands which hurt like crazy. Dawn was next to me holding the hand that was not being bandaged at the moment. A sudden realization came to her face. 

"How do you defeat some one you can't touch?"

We all look at each other, bewildered. "Everyone has a weakness. We just need to find it," Harry says as he enters the room. He takes one look at Dawn and snickers in disgust. Anger floods my senses and if I wasn't so hurt I might have punched him for the remark. He obviously didn't hear or see the way Dawn acted a couple minutes ago. She kept me sane when my mind was clouded. Cisco says what I am thinking out loud. 

"Dawn, how did you know what to say to Barry?" She answers with a confused look. "You know, when he was all 'ow my hands'. I've only seen that kind of trauma psychiatry from top ER doctors."

"Oh.. um.. well.. see? When you have other little kids around you that are getting hurt, you kind of just try to talk to them. It comes naturally. Make them feel better. You know?" Cisco nods. 

"I also have a PhD in psychiatry," she adds. This little fact about her makes everyone drop their jaws. Wow.

"What? How?" Cisco exclaims. "You're in ninth grade!"

"Technically. They don't let you into college in Central City until you are sixteen. So I made a fake ID and birth certificate so I can enroll in online college." 

"How did you get the money?"

"Cisco. I'm a genius, remember? I got a full scholarship."

"Cool. Now we have three super-geniuses on Team Flash."