Chapter 1

I sit in my stuffy lab signing toxicology reports. My penmanship is sloppy; I have other things on my mind. Joe, my adoptive father, walks into my lab looking frantic.

"Hey, Barry. So I was supposed to give the eighth graders from the middle school down the street a tour of the precinct but I forgot that I have to go to a meeting so..."

I groan on the inside. I'm about to be dragged into babysitting a bunch of kids. But what are you going to do? "Fine. I'll show them around, when are they coming?"

Joe looks at me with an apologizing look. "There here now."

This time I groan out loud, but then quickly replace the groan with a smile. "Okay. Send them in."

Joe thanks me and walks out. A few minutes later a group of thirteen and fourteen year old kids walk into the lab. Some look astonished, some look curious, and others just look utterly bored. I show them around, teaching them about how certain machines work and all. There's about fifteen kids and they all look like they have lost interest so when 3:25 came I breathed a sigh of relief. The children left to go home, jumping with excitement as summer break approaches.

I turn to sit in my chair and get back to work when I see that one girl had stayed behind. She was picking up and moving the chemicals on the back shelf. I stand a stalk over, "What are you doing! You can burn this whole place down or hurt yourself or something!" I say exasperated. She cowered into herself like a two year old would to their babysitter.

"Um... I'm sorry it's just that there are two different types of acids here and if they mix well um.. not good." She says in a shy tone. I look toward the the bottled fluids she was holding and sure enough she was correct.

"Its fine," I mutter, "Well you better be going home." I didn't mean to be rude, I just am having the longest day. And I have to get to STAR Labs and see what banks are being robbed or who escaped from prison today. On her way out, the girl knocks over a test tube. I made a dash to get it and put it back on the table. She turns around and glares at me for a second. Did she see me use my super speed? But then the girl walks out of the lab with out another word.

«»«»«»«»«»«»«»

When I get to STAR Labs everyone is doing their own thing; Cisco is adding some extra tech to my suit, Caitlin is running a simulation of some sorts and Harry is reading a book on bio-something.

"Hey man! What's up, you look down." I wave Cisco off like a fly  because I really am not in the mood to talk about my day.

"What do we have?" I ask.

"Nothing, nights quiet."

I bite my lip and sigh.

"You sure nothing's wrong?" Cisco asks again. I look at him and explain that I had to give teenagers a tour of my lab.

 "But there was this one girl" I say. "I think she saw me use my speed."

Caitlin turns her head and Cisco's face goes pale. I shrug. "I don't think she knows that I'm the Flash but there was just something about her." I get confused looks all around. I shrug and let it go. Even though my body is screaming at me to go home and sleep, I decide train instead. The treadmill's conveyor belt picks up speed and soon I loose track of how fast I'm actually going. I push myself harder and harder.

500mph 600mph 700mph

Then I'm lost in my own head. Thoughts about that girl pop into my vision and questions arise. How did she know about the chemicals? She probably learned it in her science class or something, I say to myself. Why was she so reluctant to leave? That question I didn't have an answer for. She was the only one that seemed in interested in the tour, the other kids were just anxious to leave for summer break. Then I realized something else. She was distant from the group. She had wandered off a couple of times.

Great, I think to myself, she probably got into some files or something. I make a mental note to go through my files and make sure nothing is moved or taken.

By now I am going over one thousand miles per hour. Sweat runs from the mess of my hair down my face. I slow the treadmill down gradually until it comes to a complete stop, then I freshen up and walk to the cortex. Cisco and Caitlin are walking out so I catch up with them. Caitlin looks beyond tired and as she gets in her car I see her head bounce as if she almost fell asleep. I open the car door, "C'mon, I'll drive you home." She smiles a weary smile and moves over to the passenger seat. I start her car and head to her apartment.

"So why are you so tired?" I ask as we drive passed the lit up city. She yawns and says, "I've been working on this formula for days. It's a medicine based on your blood, Barry. I won't get into it but it basically makes someone heal as fast as you would. If people healed as fast as you then just think, people in year long comas, might only be in them for minutes."

I think about this for a second. "Caitlin, if this drug is based off my blood then wouldn't the person taking it have to be the same blood type as me?" She frowns and sighs. 

"Ugh. You're right..."

Her hazel colored hair drips as she nods off into a light sleep.

A smile spreads across my face, and I pull into the parking lot of Caitlin's apartment building. I tap her shoulder then get out of the car to open her door. We walk up to her apartment. She stands in the doorway for a second then says, "Thank you, Barry."

I smile again, as a way of saying your welcome, and speed off back home.

«»«»«»«»«»«»«»

When I get home Iris is asleep on the couch so I try my best not to wake her up. I go to my room and lay in bed, ready for sleep to take over my mind. But it doesn't. The girl from the tour does. She seemed to cower when I walked over to her. Why? It's not like I'm a menacing person. She's just shy, I tell myself again.

My thoughts drift off, and I fall into a deep sleep filled with dreams of lightning and running. What I didn't know was that that small girl would soon leave an impact on my life that would ensure that I am never the same again.