Chapter 1- Texts

Chapter 1

February 14th

Joey's POV

    I woke up to the sound of my phone buzzing with a text. Groaning, I rolled over in bed and grabbed my glasses, then my iPhone 6S. Wearily, I looked at the slightly blurry screen. After a few seconds, my eyes cleared up and I saw the time. "8:00 am...? Really? It's way too early to be up..." I thought to myself. I looked to see who the text was from. My pulse increased, and I could feel my heart fluttering.

"Shane..." I thought.

*Flashback*

April 13th, 2013

I sat on the couch watching my favorite movie, My Neighbor Totoro, when my phone rang. Pausing the movie, I answered it.

"Hey Joey! Whatcha doing?" The familiar low voice of my fellow YouTuber and best friend, Shane Dawson, said to me.

"Oh hey, Shane! Not much. Just watching a movie." I replied.

"Cool. Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to come over in a few hours and hang out?" Shane asked.

"Yeah, sure. How does..." I glanced at the clock, which read 10:32 AM. "1:00 sound to you?"

"Yeah, I'm cool with that. See you then! Bye."

"Bye Shane!" I hung up the phone. Tossing it down on the couch, I clicked the play button on the TV remote and continued watching Totoro.

After finishing my movie, I took a long shower and blew dry my hair, then styled it. At that point, it was already noon, so I cooked some lunch (a small chicken breast, rice, and green beans). After eating, I grabbed my coat, since spring had just begun and it was still a bit chilly, and left to go to Shane's.

I checked my watch as I pulled up in front of the house Shane shared with his girlfriend, Lisa. The clock read 12:54, just a few minutes before when I was suppose to arrive.

"Right on time." I thought to myself.

Getting out of my car, Satsuki, (named after one of the main characters from My neighbor Totoro) and walked up to Shane's front door. He opened it and greeted me with a smile.

"Hi!" I said to him.

"Hey!" He replied, hugging me.

"How are you?" I asked.

"Thanks for coming, good, good, how about you?" I could feel Shane's chin move on my shoulder into a grin.

"Good!" I smiled too.

"Um, so, I set up the camera, I thought maybe we could do a tag video or something." He released me from the hug and stepped back.

"Right, yeah." I replied to him.

"Oh, and really quick-" Shane grabbed my face between his hands and kissed me passionately. I was so surprised. Not exactly by the fact that Shane had kissed me, but rather because of the fact that... I felt something writhe deep inside my gut. The kiss ended way too soon.

"Uh, Ok..." I stuttered, blushing.

"Come on, let's go." Shane said to me, gesturing for me to follow him.

"What the fuck just happened...?" I asked, still entirely confused, but followed him anyways. I didn't want to let on that I liked it... As much as I would rather not admit it, that kiss made me feel something. Something warm and fuzzy. I actually really enjoyed the kiss.

"Am I gay... For Shane?!?" I thought to myself.

*Flashback Over*

Present Time

It had been over just over nine months since the kiss, and almost every time Shane had invited me over to hang out I had given an excuse of how I couldn't go. I think we had hung out about three times since then, and I had been so awkward and nervous every time. Yes, it was childish, but I was so... scared that I would do something uncharacteristic and drastic, like kiss Shane again. After mulling over my feelings for a week after the kiss, I realized that I was gay. Girls just seemed so... Unappealing. I knew that Shane wasn't gay, or even bi, I mean, him and Lisa had been together for forever! I didn't want to ruin their relationship just because I had some petty crush Shane. I knew that Shane loved Lisa, and Lisa loved Shane, and love only happens to a couple once.  If I interfered with that, Shane would never forgive me.

I read the text from Shane.

"Hey Joey," it read. "Are you awake yet? I have big big news for you!" My pulse quickened past what was normal. "What if...? No. Shane wasn't gay."

"I am now... What's up?" I texted him back. I set my phone back on the nightstand, but as I went to roll over and go back to sleep, my phone buzzed again. "Shane must really be enthusiastic about whatever this is..." I thought.

"You'll never guess..." Shane's text read.

"Ugh, Shane, spit it out! Its way too early to be up!" I hit send.

"OMG I am so excited... I decided to propose to Lisa!!!!! =D" When I read the text, my heart stopped, killing something in me.

"Wow! That's... That's really great. I am so happy for you Shane. Really." I texted back, lying through my teeth. "Or thumbs... Who cares." I thought.

"Well, anyways, I was wondering if you will come over and help me to set up the camera and get everything ready! I want to film it and post it on YouTube. All my fans will want to know, ASAP! Can you help me?" Shane's text came seconds later.

"Yeah, sure. What time?"

"Ummm... Does 2:00 work? Lisa's doctors appointment is at 2:00, but she's going out for lunch before that with a couple of people. She should be back around 4:30, I think."

"Yeah, that will work. See you then." I texted. The reply came about a minute later.

"K, see you then! Thanks so much Joey! I really appreciate it."

I set down my iPhone and took off my glasses, leaving them both on my nightstand. I nestled deeper into my warm comforter and went back to sleep, disgruntled and moodier than before.