Bad Boys

Isabella's P.O.V

Once i'd regained a steady heart rate, I'd spotted Parker glaring at the floor, in deep thought. He seemed troubled; by the way his lean muscly arms were crossed tightly over his black tank top, his usual tanned skin was a shade paler--more of an olive, a frown pursing his pink lips and creasing his forehead, his deep-set green eyes were probing the white tiles on the floor in a type of irritated bewilderment. He let out a disapproving grunt, causing me to come back to reality.

I'd been staring at him for that long. I swallowed hard, realizing how worried I was about him. Strange, I don't typically find myself worrying...about this kind of thing.

Parker barely gave me a side-glance before shuffling off, he'd been leaning towards me as if he'd come running; but instead, turned, flustered-looking, and walked off.

I couldn't help but think it was my own fault for his sudden distance, maybe he only felt obligated to come last night because I was Brooke's friend. I glanced back behind me, catching sight of Jesse giving the school a lasting look before shoving his hands in his pockets and roaming off.

I sighed, shrugging off that precarious paranoia before scanning the halls for Brooke. I spot her, posted up against the wall looking bad ass in a tight leather jacket and jeans--I was beginning to see the resemblance between her and Parker. I paste on raised eyebrows, and erase the frown off my face before heading over.

"Hi," I said brightly, "what's up?"

Brooke looked at me, seeming sad or upset. "Nothing much..." She cleared her throat and smiled a little. "Tired as hell."

" Why?" I said, following her down the halls. "Jesse apparently thinks 2 AM is the perfect time to blast his fucking troll music. Like, my ears are literally ringing." She rolled her eyes, raking a hand through her perfectly messy black hair.

"What about you?" Brooke back lashed quickly, snapping her head in my direction. I shook my head, "It was cool, I guess. The storm kept me up..." I mumbled truthfully, finding myself hiding things from her again.

"Cool, huh?" Her smile was mourn-worthy. "Oh! Here's your class Isabella. See you at lunch." Brooke stopped abruptly, then made a quick escape without looking at me.  The dance was coming up soon--you'd think she'd be a bit happier. I shrugged it off as a mood swing, and entered my classroom.  All of the girls in class turned to me, eyes for slits--ready to pounce, it was the same look my mother got from the ladies at the super market. That was new. I quickly sat down, and unpacked my things.

I couldn't concentrate on the work in front of me; the Spanish terms I'd studied seemed not to make any sense, I kept getting distracted by my thoughts, resulting in a half-assed translated paragraph. Someone behind me, jabbed my rib with a pencil. I turned around, rubbing my side.

It was Austin Moore, semi-popular with the girls for his baby faced features and hazel eyes, he was apart of the baseball team--a pitcher, I think.

"Bella, right? Can I call you that? I'm Austin." He smiled, there was a chip in his front tooth--which apparently, makes him that much cuter.

"Sure..." I nodded stiffly.

"Listen um," Austin began tapping his pencil against the desk, "the dance on Friday...I was wondering if you'd go--" He cleared his throat. "With me?"

Now, that surprised me. Now I'd have an excuse to go--and Brooke would be happy. I kept thinking of Parker, and his scowl this morning--i should take a chance, right? This would be my first time out with a guy...Was it wrong to go out with someone for these reasons? Damn, I was over thinking.