Vivid Paintings

Isabella's P.O.V

Everything's black and white when you really think about it. Happiness is only temporary--until the blackness starts filling in all of the hues and shades. Then--the more brighter parts, the most happiest of memories turn white; colorless...completely empty and desolate, as if nothing was ever there at all. I prefer the blackness...the numbing touch of darkness is more satisfying than nothing at all.

At least, that's how I see it.

I shoved all of my textbooks in my backpack as swiftly as I could, today being the end to another week of torture. School's been especially difficult, progressively the teasing turn into insults, and the rumors are only getting worst. Apparently, i'm an infamous prostitute on the streets--and play the "innocent" act to get Parker interested in me. Its amazing, the things you can learn about yourself that you've never even realized. Brooke's been blissfully ignorant of the situation, which is the way i'd like it to stay.

My locker closed, just as I was double-checking for anything I might've missed. I turned to the person, who'd so rudely closed my locker. It was Evans, leaning his good arm up against the locker beside mine, leaning towards me on his tip-toes with a suspicious grin on his face. The bruise around his eye was beginning to fade into a yellowish brown deformed blob. My eyes dropped to the blue stretchy sling on his right arm and I tried not to cringe.

"Isabella, right?" Evans said, his eyes were snake-like, something I really didn't like in him. I drew away from him slightly,

"Yeah. You're Evans?" I muttered, adverting eye-contact.

He laughed heartily, flashing his crooked sharp canine like teeth. "Jeremy Evans, yes."

"Why does everyone call you Evans?" I asked, pulling the other strap of my backpack over my shoulder.

"Force of habit--i'm on the football team, linebacker." Jeremy added. I nodded slowly, and let my eyes wander around the hall. "Um," I cleared my throat nervously. "I have to get home so..."

"Oh, really? I just need to ask a quick favor," He admonished, raising his eyebrows. "Is that okay?"

I shuffled my feet, wondering where Brooke was.

Or Parker.

"Isabella?"

I shook my head, pulling myself from a daze. "Yeah?"

"I'm having trouble in geometry, you have Mrs. Scott, right? Would you tutor me? Only up until midterms." Jeremy said radically, smiling still. The way he smiled made him look like a fox, a wide sly grin that stretched the skin around his lips and crinkled his eyes to where it looked as if he was squinting at you. I hadn't noticed his pale, near translucent skin outside the other day either; like a thin layer of a sick person's flesh had stretched over his muscles and bones.

I scrunched my eyebrows trying not to shudder, "Sorry, I don't have time for tutoring. I'll lend you my notes." I suggested helpfully. Jeremy's eyebrow raised agitatedly. "I would really like it if you helped me, Isabella. The thing is--I like you."

I gawked at him, in disbelief. "Oh."

My mind flashed back to Parker, sitting in front of me on the couch.

"I'm s-sorry...I-I just d-don't--" I stuttered like it was going out of style.

His eyelashless amber eyes darkened, and his smile matched the shadow in his eyes. "That's to bad, you're just so pretty..."

Jeremy hissed brushing his dirty fingers across my bottom lip swiftly. I jerked away, the hair on the back of my neck standing on end and my skin crawling. I felt like he'd caught my lips on fire, even though I knew it was my own fear-filled paranoia getting the best of me. Jeremy took a combatant step forward, reaching out with his good arm like he'd grab me when he was shoved against the lockers. I jumped back in surprise, watching Parker's nicer looking tanner fingers grasp Jeremy's thick neck.