31

Avery remembered their last night together. She missed Gavin's warmth when she woke up. She missed their early morning talks and his little half smiles. Last night she had been tucking in Cade after reading him a story and he said something that brought her to tears.

"Mom, how come Dad can't be like Uncle Sam? Why doesn't he ever have time to play with me?" She had replied half heartedly and went to her room and cried. Jack was out on another date with Henri which was a frequent occurance now. It was really weird to have Jack living with her and Cade and she still hadn't gotten used to seeing him drive out of the garage and go to work. He was still his goof-ball self but something had matured in him since she had last seen him four years ago. He had a sense of purpose and direction, something that Avery lacked. She didn't know what she was doing anymore especially since Gavin had just left. She hadn't felt more alone than she had in a long time.

Sam's POV:

For the first time in my life I didn't know how to talk to my wife. She didn't accept my offer to work at my office so instead she applied at the small elementry school where Cam went. I thought it was fine but lately instead of talking to me before we go to bed she would concentrate all of her efforts on reading. I didn't mind the silence but I could slowly feel her pulling away. It was almost her birthday and I wanted to do something really nice for her. Brooklyn deserved it because for the last few years she had become an amazing mother and wife.

Walking into the kitchen after a long day of work I sat down beside her and just studied her face. She set down her book and blushed. It was a well-read copy of Jane Eyre and growing up with Henri, I knew all of the 19th century romantic classics.

"Yes?" She tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear.

"I'm going to take you out tonight."

"Alright." She resumed her position with the book.

"Are you even listening to me Brook?"

"Mmhm." She turned the page.

"Be ready at six." I left her at the kitchen table, smiling to myself.

We had enjoyed dinner at one of the first cafes we went to when we were first married. I took her to the lake where I had proposed and for a long time we just sat on the bench and stared out at the water.

"Do you like reading?" Brooklyn suddenly looked up at me, her eyes suddenly juvenile and full of love.

"I guess so. Do you?"

"It helps pass the time. I don't think about the..." She trailed off but I knew what she was going to say.

"That's good. I'm happy for you." I gripped her hand tighter.

"I love you." She snuggled deeper into my arms.

"I know." There was a silence. Some ducks fluttered by the reeds and I remembered the time when I first realized that Brooklyn wanted a baby. "So. You know that I'm a lawyer right?"

"Yes. I know that you're a lawyer."

"I own a major part of the firm and I was thinking of starting a few small branches in different states."

"Sure. Whatever makes you happy, I guess." I passed her my sweater as we walked to the car. She loved wearing my sweaters and I wanted her to feel safe and secure.

"I think that it will be a good challenge for me." I started up the car and headed for home.

"As long as you don't have to be at the office too much I think it's fine." We walked into the house. It was quiet, the kids were in their beds (not necessarily sleeping) and Bennet who had been babysitting was asleep on the couch with a movie on.