28

Brooklyn sat at the kitchen table looking over Cameron's spelling homework. Sam came into the kitchen and pulled up a chair beside her.

"The kids are all in bed. How's Cam's homework going?"

"Fine. He's really improved this year. I'm glad the triplets aren't in school yet." She smiled.

"I was thinking..." Sam got a beer out of the fridge and leaned against the countertop.

"Oh no. This can't be good." Brooklyn winked.

"We didn't really get a chance to go camping with the kids and I was thinking with Gavin going off to the marines I was thinking we should take Cade off of their hands for a while."

"That's really sweet Sam, but I don't think I'm really up for a camping trip. You could take them by yourself if you want." Brooklyn smiled.

"Come on! It's only fun if your there!" He took a sip of his beer, eyes shining.

"Maybe we could take him for a weekend and we could take them out to the movies."

"That sounds like a better plan anyway. Isn't it weird that all of the people we went to university with suddenly come back into our lives?"

"Funny how things like that work. I hope Gavin didn't rush into this marines thing because he can't handle his home life right now."

"I don't think that was the reason. I think he's using this as an excuse to leave for a while."

"You don't think that him and Avery are getting a divorce do you?" Brooklyn snuggled into Sam's arms.

"No, I don't think so. I think it's mostly Cade. Gav had a very set idea in his head about what his children would be like."

"Cade has some learning disabilities but he's an amazing kid. I think any father would be proud to have a son like him."

"I know. I just hope that Gavin realizes that before it's too late. No sense in trying to talk Gavin out of anything. You know how he is."

They walked upstairs and started a movie in their bedroom.

"Would you be mad at me if I wanted to get a job? I get the whole man protector and provider thing but with five kids we'll need the extra income in case of an emergency don't you think?" Brooklyn sighed.

"There's a spot at the office I could give you. I can give you ample time off after the baby is born plus maternity leave. Olivia is no longer with us." He smirked and pulled his shirt over his head.

"My plan didn't work? I thought it was so clever."

"No, she was having an affair with someone in a different department of the office. I let her go last week and gave the other person a recomendation to a counseling service if he wanted to keep working at the office."

"Oh. What about Avery's position?"

"I made a job specifically for her. Flexable hours and good benefits." Brooklyn smiled at her husbands generosity.

"You seem to handle everything at the office so well." Brooklyn closed her eyes and settled back into her pillow. "You're so thoughtful." She yawned and drifted into a well deserved sleep.

When Brooklyn got up Sam had already left for work and Cam had crawled into her bed and curled up next to her. She yawned and looked at the clock. 9:30. Wait, 9:30!? She nudged Cam gently and started looking for something to wear.

"Come on Cam. Your already late for school." She pushed him into his room and grabbed the first t-shirt and pair of jeans she could for him and laid them on his bed. "Be quick, Cammy." She ruffled his hair and went and threw on some jeans and one of Sam's sweaters. She managed to get the triplets into the car seats and manage Cam's hair and toast a bagel and get coffee in under twenty minutes. The triplets were all asleep so she wouldn't wake them until she had to. They all had check-ups and that was always a horrendous task. She felt a lot of Starbucks cinnamon lattes coming on today. She locked the van doors and grabbed Cam's hand and walked to the school.