17

"I'm so nervous." Brooklyn squeezed Sam's hand as she laid down on the table. A female doctor came in and shook both of their hands. 

"I'm Dr. Gabrielle Brent." She sat down on a chair next to examining table and went over the basic information and procedure as she squirted cold gel on Brooklyn's stomach.

"Looks like your going to have little boy." Dr. Brent smiled.

"Oh, Sam. A boy." Brooklyn smiled through tears that welled at her eyes and looked at her proud husband.

Later that night, Brooklyn stirred a chocolate cake batter and set the oven. Sam came up behind her and stuck his finger in the bowl, sampling it.

"Sam! If your going to steal batter at least tell me how it is!" Brooklyn smacked his hand with a wooden spoon and stuck the pan in the oven.

"It's delicious. I didn't know cake from a box could taste that good." Brooklyn stared at him dubiously.

"I made it from scratch. Its for Easter. I was going to bring it to your parents house when we go for dinner on Saturday."

"Oh. When did your parents want us over again?" Sam walked over to the office looking at the calendar.

"Sunday. I was going to bake more later if you didn't keep eating it."

"I'm really out of it. I didn't even know it was Easter." Sam laughed. "Just kidding, Brook."

"I know. I'll just finish up in the kitchen and meet you upstairs, ok?" Brooklyn rolled up her sleeves and started washing the chocolaty bowl. 

"Ok." Sam leaned over and kissed her cheek. Brooklyn finished the dishes in record time and took the cake out of the oven. She found Sam already in bed, eyes closed, with the bed side lamp still on. Brooklyn smiled softly and clicked off the light and climbed into bed next to Sam. 

"Are you still up?" Jen whispered to Sam. His eyes fluttered open.

"Am now." Sam mumbled and rolled over.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up." Brooklyn tugged the blanket up to her chin.

"Well, you obviously want to talk or else you wouldn't have asked." Sam leaned on one elbow and looked at her.

"Sam Fields you know me too well." Brooklyn muttered. "I was thinking now that we know the gender of the baby we could discuss baby names."

"Ok, what did you have in mind?" 

"You go first." Brooklyn crossed her arms and stared at the ceiling.

"Justin?"

"Nope."

"Matthew?" 

"No."

"Why not? Matthew is a perfectly good name!" 

"There was this kid in junior high..."

"Ok, ok! How about William?"

"No."

"Um, Luke? Naming things isn't really my strong suit, you know that!"

"That's your brother's name. That would be weird." 

"Well, if you're so smart what did you come up with?" 

"Patrick?"

"How very Irish of us." Sam teased.

"Fine. How about Cameron?"

"Sure. It doesn't have weird spelling right?"

"No. Just regular Cam." Brooklyn held Sam's hand and pulled the sheets up to her chin. Suddenly Sam grimaced.