"You're a horrible liar."

"Actually I'm an amazing liar. You didn't know I was depressed for the longest time. The world doesn't know that. I'm very good at lying. I can easily lie to you, but I would feel so shitty about myself if I ever lie to you." He looked at me seriously. "And I am alright. I'm just fatigued and all I want to do is go and take a nap with you."

"Is there anything I can do to make things better?"

He half-smiled, saying, "Just be there."

I sort of got what Lafayette was saying. Sometimes people just feel low, for no reason. He was born like that, and although he's a lot better, he still has his days. Plus, it's getting colder, and S.A.D. might have something to do with it, because seasonal affective disorder makes people sad when the seasons change. Some days you just don't feel it. But after a while...I didn't believe that. Lafayette started to change a little. His attitude was becoming worse and he wasn't happy in the slightest. It started after December started.

I woke up one morning and he wasn't in bed with me like he usually was. I got up and showered, ate real quick, and then went into the office. He was sitting at his desk and he didn't greet me or anything. I walked over to him and put my hand on his shoulder. He looked up at me, like he just realized I was there. I kissed him, and he seemed caught off guard, but returned to his old self, warming up and kissing me back. Only for a second. He pulled away and started to type again. "I need you to schedule an appointment with Harold for tomorrow."

"What time?"

"Four."

"Okay. Need anything else done?"

"Michael has what else you need to do today."

I scheduled his appointment and then Michael and I left to go and run his errands. I returned and Lafayette was gone until late that night. It was like that everyday after that. He just didn't talk to me as much or kiss me or smile. It was like when I first started working, but even worse because even back then he'd try to talk to me and smile. Now he just doesn't want to. After a few days of that, I confronted him on it. Thus, started the fighting.

"Lafayette, what's wrong with you?" I asked.

"I'm fine," he replied, not looking at me, still typing on his computer.

I pressed the power button, which made him look at me, annoyed, and waiting. "Why are you acting like this? You hardly talk to me. You hardly smile or kiss me or acknowledge me. Is this your way of breaking up with me or something? If you're dumping me then I'm not going to work for you! You're still sleeping with me and everything. Now I just feel like I'm being used for sex and work."

"Emerson, you're thinking too much," he said, standing and walking away from me. He grabbed his phone and ear plug, putting them in and making a phone call, putting his phone into his pocket.

"I'm not done with you, Faye."

"I'd appreciate it if you not call me Faye anymore."

"What do you want me to call you? A piece of shit? Because that's what you're acting like. God, what is it? Do you want to be with me or not? If you do then how about you start showing it? I thought you loved me and that I was the only thing that made you happy."

He sighed and turned away, looking out the window across the way. "I'm not going to answer your questions."

I threw my hands up and stormed into the flat.

We fought often. I didn't even bother going into the office and doing my work anymore. He never said anything, though. He was less of an ass when we were in the flat. He looked less annoyed, but more sad. The best time of day was at night because we still had sex. Sometimes I wouldn't want to sleep with him because I was mad at him, but he was so loving when we had sex. I couldn't resist. When he kissed me and held me and looked into my eyes I could still see the love.