Chapter 11

I walked out of our office and into the workroom where Michael and Emilio were at. Michael jumped onto Lafayette's shoulders, holding up a mistletoe and planted a kiss on his cheek, cheering, "Mistletoe!" He jumped off of him and tackled me, planting a drunken kiss on my mouth so forcefully we fell to the ground.

"It's only seven o'clock and you're already drunk," Emilio said, pulling Michael off of me and to his feet, having to prop him up. "He just loves Christmas."

"I can tell," I said, Lafayette helping me up.

"He's kind of a horny drunk."

"Nonsense," Michael slurred, peering at Emilio over his glasses. "I just love mistletoes."

"Of course you do son," Vince said, coming out of the bathroom. He threw on his coat and fedora. "Well we'll be going now."

Donald stood up from his spot in Vince's chair. "We haven't given them presents yet, silly," Donald said.

Vince threw off his coat and reached into his desk where he pulled out some presents wrapped in green paper. "Of course. Merry Christmas." He tossed one to each of us, and as we sat on the couches during our small little Christmas party we opened them. I pulled out knitted, navy blue scarf. At the bottom it said, "From Vince and Donald." I threw it on since it went with my white sweater and navy blue pants. "Did you make it?" I asked.

"Yes, I did," said Donald, pulling out his pipe. "I learned how to knit in my retirement."

We each received a knitted scarf, but in our favorite colors. Lafayette's was dark green, Emilio's was black, and Michael's was purple. Emilio and Michael gave out their gifts as well. They didn't go with the "make it with love" approach that Vince and Donald did. They just bought us nice things. They got Lafayette a new curtain for his office, one that looked really expensive because it was huge and made of nice fabric. They only gave him a sample size of it, saying it'd be installed after Christmas. They bought me this really cool hanging light that had fake ivy coming down over it so it kind of looked like a plant and I could dim the lights so it could be a night light. Then they got Vince and Donald a set of unique candle holders because they needed some. Lafayette then passed around his gifts, which were all extremely nice. He upgraded Emilio's phone to the new generation, got Michael a new line of clothes not yet released, and he got Vince and Donald a trip to London.

"You get yours on Christmas," he told me. "Now pass out your gifts."

"Okay," I said. "I have your gift here so no point in not giving it to you." I passed out their gifts and watched as they opened them, hoping they'd like them. Though I was scared they wouldn't because they weren't the most expensive gifts and I didn't make them but I got stuff I thought they would like.

"A Polaroid camera?" Michael asked, sobering up a little.

"Yeah, well, I remembered how you said the best gift you ever got was a Polaroid camera when you were a kid, but it broke, and so I bought you another one."

He looked at it, smiling faintly. He snapped a photo and grabbed the polaroid, shaking it.