Chapter 2

"You have everything set up then?"

"Yep. Where's Mr. Jeff?"

"He had a meeting. Donald has scheduled all his appointments for today and tomorrow. For these two days I'll be teaching you how to make appointments. This is your planner," Michael explained, handing me a black leather book. "In the front is a list of everyone who has any reason to call Lafayette. If they have a star next to them then they immediately get put through because they're important. If they have an 'x' next to them then it means that they never get put through if they call. Mr. Jeff will call them. If they don't have anything next to their name then you ask Mr. Jeff if they would like to call."

"Okay," I said, nodding, looking through the planner. The pages could be replaced yearly for new planner pages. Since it was early October the majority of the pages were full, but the contact list looked like it hadn't been touched, probably because Donald knew everything about who was calling.

"When Mr. Jeff takes a call, he will tell you when and where the appointment is and you write it down so he can remember it in the future. It's usually in a week when the actual appointment takes place and he always has an appointment so he usually forgets them. Now, if he needs something, like new shoes or coffee or different clothes, something that requires you to leave, you tell me and I'll go get it. You hardly ever leave Mr. Jeff's side. You're always in the same room except for when your shift is done."

"Why would he need different clothes?" I asked.

Michael looked at me over his glasses. "It was just an example. He has clothes in that room right there," he said and pointed to the door that was next to my desk. "Never go in there unless Mr. Jeff allows you to, okay? Hardly anyone ever goes in there."

"What's in there?"

"Don't worry about it. Now, I already know when to get his food so you don't have to tell me that. Just let me know when he'd like coffee, and you'll need coffee, too."

"Why?" I asked.

"He only drinks coffee if he's pulling an all-nighter, and like I said - you never leave his side. If he's here working until three in the morning, so are you."

"Alright. So what else is there?"

"The big things are to make his appointments. That always comes first. Then you answer his calls, let them go through if necessary, and make more appointments. He'll tell you things he needs and you tell me. Other than that, it's the little things." Michael took off his glasses to rub his eyes, looking tired. "And I know you're going to ask what the little things are. So, let me tell you. I won't be able to tell you because there's so many and you'll learn them over time. Mr. Jeff won't be mad about having to teach you anything."

"What if I forget and he has to teach me a second time?"

"He's not an angry person, Em. I've seen him angry, like, three times in my life and I've known him since high school."

"Wow. Really?" I asked. Mr. Jeff in high school. I wondered what he was like. Probably sexy as hell, quarterback, dating the cheerleader, class president. The golden boy.

"Yes. Emilio and I both have," Michael said. He sighed and sat down in one of the chairs, crossing his legs. "We were his high school best friends and he came up with the idea of starting this company and since Emilio and I weren't going any where in life he gave us jobs, and also because we're his friends. Anyway, the little things."

"What about Donald and Vince?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

"Donald and Vince have been together for a very long time and they've been friends with Lafayette since he was a kid. Vince was actually our high school economics teacher, and once things were going well we needed help and so he hired Vince, and Donald had done secretarial jobs before so he came, too. Plus, Donald was their neighbor and helped raise Lafayette anyway." Michael huffed in annoyance, realizing we kept getting off topic. "Enough about the past. The little things."