Never Tell a Girl

H a r r y

     The sun is flooding in through the windows when I enter the bedroom, finding Isis already gone. My hair is dripping wet from my shower, droplets running down my bare back in the way that always makes my skin crawl. I close the curtains and slide a white T-shirt over my head, then trade in my usual jeans for a pair of cargo shorts. It's too damn hot outside to have my pants suctioned to my legs. Glancing to my left, I snatch up my camera on my way out of the room. 

     The house is nearly empty, the only other occupant being Louis, who's reclining on the couch watching a soccer tournament.

     "Really?" I ask, gesturing towards his outstretched body, "you're on vacation in Florida and you choose to watch soccer in your spare time?"

     He shrugs and lifts his arms in defense. "I've been waiting forever for this match, and I'm not feeling like a swim right now anyways." Louis scrunches his nose and reaches up to pat his head. "I spent too much time on my hair this morning to screw it up already."

     I roll my eyes and clap a hand on his shoulder as I walk past, finding a large bowl of fresh-cut pineapple on the kitchen counter. I pull a fork from the drawer and grab the fruit, taking it outside with me and using my foot to push the screen door closed. Already, I can hear laughter and loud voices coming from the pool.

     "Don't run!" I hear Isis exclaim as I get closer. I see Randie freeze in place, then patter slowly over to the shallow end of the pool.

     "Harry!" Niall calls out, "You comin' in?"

     I shake my head and take a seat on a wooden bench, placing the bowl of fruit beside me. "I just got out of the shower, I'd rather stay dry for a while!" I shout back. My eyes sweep over the surface of the water in search of Isis, and I finally look up to see her wrapping a towel around her body. 

     "Are ye' done already?" Aideen asks, to which Isis nods. 

     "I've had enough of the chlorine for now, I think."

     She suddenly looks up at me, as if she could feel my eyes on her. I smile warmly and hold up my giant bowl of pineapple, wiggling my eyebrows. She laughs and tucks some hair back behind her ear, only causing my smile to grow as she makes her way over to me. I was worried this morning that she would be regretful of last night, but instead she has a glow about her that makes my heart skip a beat. 

     I swear that every time I see her, it's like falling in love all over again. 

     "I figured you'd want some fruit, so I left that bowl there for you and Louis. Is he still watching the game?" Isis sits down next to me and drapes her towel over her smooth shoulders. 

     I nod with a grin and roll my eyes. "Apparently, he's been waiting ages to watch it. I doubt that even a hurricane could pull him away from the TV right now."

     "You're probably right," Isis says with a flat tone. I notice her gaze linger on the camera around my neck, looking at it with a light smile. "You brought your camera out," she chirps. 

     I turn my face to the sky, looking up at the small puffy clouds. "I'm not sure why I grabbed it, but I just didn't feel like I could leave it there." 

     Isis laughs and rests her hand over mine. "It's called inspiration, Styles."

     Running my hand through my hair, I look up at the cloudy sky. "Is it supposed to rain today? I was thinking we could go down to the sea turtle hospital; I know Randie would love it."