Florida Waits for No One

I s i s

     "Where's her coloring book? Do we have the coloring book?"

     Harry spins around and grabs the canvas bag I filled with activities for Randie to do in the car. "Right here," he says, placing it on top of our suitcases.

     "Okay. . ." I go over a mental checklist as Harry pulls a black sweater over his head.

     I grab my phone charger and stick it in my purse while Harry lifts up the bags. "Are we ready?" He asks, hair falling into his face.

     I laugh and push it back for him, receiving a grateful smile in return. "I think we are."

     I turn out the lights as we head downstairs, repeating my checklist in my head just to be safe. Randie's already been strapped into her carseat, so all that's left to do is pack up the car. I adjust the collar of my tight cream-colored turtleneck shirt and grab my coat as we go outside. As soon as I step out, I'm blasted by freezing air.

     "Do you have your inhaler?" I ask, reminded by the wind.

     Harry pats his pockets. "I think I left it on the table by the door."

     I point to the car, pushing my hair out of the way. "You put those in the car, I'll grab your inhaler." He nods and speed-walks away. Once I have his inhaler and the door is locked, I rush over to get out of the cold. Just as I'm reaching for the door handle, Harry jumps in and pulls it open for me.

     "Thanks," I say with a smile. I slide in and he runs around to the other side.

     Once we're all settled, Harry pulls out of the driveway and heads south.

     "How far away is it?" Randie asks, swinging her legs to her own beat.

     Harry turns on the radio and hums softly. "About seventeen hours," he informs her.

     "Oh."

     We're four hours into the trip and have just crossed into West Virginia when Randie starts to complain about being hungry.

     Harry turns down the blaring song on the radio and makes eye contact with her through the mirror. "I know, we're gonna' stop at a place just down the road."

     I almost expect her to continue to whine, but she begins to sing along to Harry's CD instead. Harry looks over to me and wiggles his eyebrows in satisfaction.

     "Eyes on the road, Styles," I say with a grin. I'm tired of being in the car and my ears desperately need to pop, but having Harry as company makes the trip a thousand times more enjoyable.

     It's not long until we pull into the parking lot of a small family restaurant. Randie's more than happy to fling her seatbelt off and jump out of the car. I follow closely behind, taking a moment after I step out to just stretch. Harry has the same idea, turning his face towards the sky and raising his arms above his head, causing his sweater to ride up and his stomach to show.

     I tear my gaze from him to admire the mountainous view. It's green everywhere, a nice contrast to snowy Ohio. It's still freezing, however, so I make sure Randie has her coat zipped up before we head inside.

     "Shall we?" Harry asks, gesturing towards the welcoming building.

     "Let's get out of the cold," I answer with chattering teeth.

     Harry casually takes my hand into his own, intertwining our fingers as Randie runs ahead to get inside. We follow along and Harry lets go of my hand only to hold the door open, then slides my ice-cold hand into his pleasantly warm one again.