Unwelcome Nerves

H a r r y

     "You're sure you don't want me to bring her with me?"

     Isis pins down the loose hair in her up-do and shakes her head. "We'll just go to a park or something, we haven't gone out much together lately."

     I reach behind me and grab my camera equipment from my desk as Isis tampers with make-up. "Sounds good," I say, "I'll be back by six-"

     "Well I sure hope so," Isis interrupts, "because that's when we're leaving." Her voice sounds dismissive, but I can see her smile in the bathroom mirror. "Speaking of, what should I wear?"

     She picks some fuzz off of her tight grey sweater dress and zips up her make-up bag.

     "Whatever you please," I answer with a small smile, trying my best not to give anything away. I have the perfect evening planned, which could mean anything, really. Sloshing through the mud in a suit would be perfect as long as Isis was there with me.

     Isis frowns and turns to face me. Her eyes drag down my body briefly, only to shoot right back up to my face. "I mean, what will we be doing? What should I prepare for?"

     I take a few steps towards her and she takes one step back. "Prepare for a great night with a great date. I have to go, but I'll see you later." I begin to back out of the doorway, only to be pulled back in by hands fisted onto my shirt. I hum in surprise and anticipation caused by her sudden actions.

     Isis lets go when we're only inches apart and instead holds onto my cross necklace, tugging on it lightly to bring me down to her level. I do as she wishes and she meets me in the middle, lifting herself up onto her toes to press her soft lips against mine. We fit together like a puzzle, like two pieces that were made to connect perfectly.

     My hands rest on her hips as she slowly pulls away, moving back down to stand flat on her feet. "Don't forget your inhaler, it's cold outside."

     "It's in my coat pocket," I reassure with a smile. "I really have to go now, I'm already late."

     I plant a kiss on her soft cheek as she says goodbye, grabbing my camera once more before I head downstairs. Randie's sitting on the couch wearing a little pair of skinny jeans and a purple sweater, her eyes focused on the cartoon playing on the TV. I cross in front of her show to get to my shoes and coat, which gets her attention and sends her flying over to me.

     Her foot catches on the end of the rug and she falls down, barely bracing herself enough to avoid a collision between her chin and the floor. I immediately throw my hands into the air to keep her from crying. "I didn't know you could do dives like that!" I exclaim, "Not even the famous swimmers can do that good!"

     "I falled," Randie whines with pouted lips. The tears forming in her eyes are enough for me to know that my plan failed, and I take the few steps towards her to lift her off of the ground. I pull her sweater down so it covers her stomach and wipe away the wetness on her cheeks.

     "It's okay, I fall a lot. In fact, I know I'm going to fall a lot more later tonight when your mommy and I go out." She sniffles and rubs her eyes with the palm of her hand before I pull her into my arms.

     "I have to go to work but I'll be back later, okay? Keep an eye on your mom for me, make sure she doesn't start dancing on our table or anything."

     Randie laughs and nods. "Okay."

     "Wonderful," I say, standing up and sliding into my boots. I put my coat on and wave to Randie, who waves right back.