Hail Princess Bambi

I s i s

I stand behind the window, looking out at the damp world around me. The rain is still falling hard, and puddles on the road reflect streetlights. When I focus in on the glass, I see sad brown eyes staring back. Water droplets run down the window pane, and I know that if Aiden were here, he'd reach out and trace the trails with his index finger. Without thinking, I find myself doing the same.

     I blink, and come back into reality. My arms are folded tightly across my chest; despite the sweater and jeggings I'm wearing, I'm still cold. Slowly, I step away from the window and check my phone.

     "I'm ready!" I hear Randie's voice shout over the sound of running water. When I enter the bathroom, she's standing in the tub with the shower still on. I turn it off and hand her a towel, letting her dry her body.

     She runs out of the room and into hers, the towel exposing her bare bottom. I follow behind, turning off the lights as we go. When I reach her room, I find the towel laying on the floor, and Randie is digging through her small suitcase.

     "Mommy, we have a problem."

     "What's that?" I ask, amused by her serious tone.

     Her hair is dripping down her back as she stands up, holding up a small pair of underwear. She frowns and puts a hand on her hip. "We forgot all my clothes eccept for undies."

     I chuckle, shaking my head. "Check your closet."

     Randie is soon dressed in her Blue's Clues PJs, with little white socks to keep her feet warm. She sits at her desk, gripping a purple crayon in her hand to colour Ariel's hair. I'm kneeling behind her, running a brush gently through her long brown hair. Randie mumbles to herself as she draws, occasionally pausing to praise herself for her work.

     "Can you braid it?" She asks, colouring Ariel's skin green.

     I shake my head, even though she can't see me. "Not while it's wet."

     "Sure you can!" Exclaims a voice behind us, startling both Randie and I. Harry stands in the doorway, in a pair of joggers and a black T-shirt that exposes all of his tattoos. His hair is almost as long as mine, and is only curly on the ends due to his constant pushing it back. He strides over to us, and gently shoos me out of the way.

     Randie turns around, looking up at Harry with her eyebrows furrowed. "Are you going to braid my hair?"

     He smiles, nods, and sits down behind her. I watch in fascination as he skillfully pulls each strand of hair into place. Randie resumes her colouring, starting on Ariel's pink tail.

     "I love your picture," Harry comments. "It's very abstract and artistic."

     A grin slowly creeps onto her lips, but she doesn't look away from her colouring book. "Thank you," she mumbles, reaching for a red crayon. I realize that not only is Harry braiding Randie's hair, but he's doing a French braid.

     "Ow!" She yelps, and reaches back to touch her hair.

     "I'm sorry!" Harry quickly reacts, leaning over to press a kiss to the top of her head.

     It isn't long before he finishes her braid with a hair tie and stands up. "There! All done."

     Randie shoots up out of her little stool, and over to the nearest mirror. She grins, lightly touching the braid. 

     Harry smiles. "Pretty as a princess."

     I get Randie off to bed, and decide to go downstairs. It's even colder on the first floor, so I rub my arms in an attempt to warm myself up. I find Harry in the kitchen, which is right off of the living room. His kitchen is just as nice, with dark countertops and grey-brown brick walls. The floor is stone tile, and he has a gas stove. A thin vase sits atop the island Harry is sitting at, with one daisy inside.