CHAPTER 11

We headed deeper into the city, diverging away from our original path. 'What do you mean "the roads out"?' I demanded as I made my way up to where Alyssa crouched, peering over the edge.

'I'm telling you, that we'll have to find another way around. There's no way we can make our way across something of this magnitude. It's too risky.' Alyssa said, anger rising in her tone, as she stood, making herself appear taller than me.

'You wanna bet?' I taunted, 'We live in a world where sleeping is risky. Everyday we take risks, some which could cost lives.' I lowered my voice, staring into her eyes, 'We aren't using a different route.' We glared at each other for a good minute before Ethan finally spoke.

'Stop it you two. You're not children. Clearly there are greater matters to attend to rather than your insolent bickering!' Ethan boomed, his arms folded over his chest. We were silent, speechless even. 'That's more like it.' Ethan smiled, clasping his hands together, 'Now how about we come up with a game plan?'

I cleared my throat before pulling the map from my bag. I spread it out across the ground. 'Okay, so we're here, and this is where we need to go.' I directed, pointing to the routes. I pointed to our current location, 'This area is out of the question, so the only route we can use is--'

'--the downtown.' Alyssa breathed.

I glanced up at Ethan who was staring at the map, his hand now pressed to his lips in thought. 'There's no other way.' He stated, matter-of-factly. His brows furrowed, 'We can't diverge any further from the path than what we already have.'

'But, the explosion. The infected--'

'We'll manage.' Ethan interjected sternly, 'We have to.' He then gazed out over the edge, tilting his head towards the sky. 'The sun'll be setting soon and we haven't found suitable shelter. We need to move, now.'

I refolded my map and shoved it back in my bag. I lingered at the cavern-like gap, gazing back at the setting sun. The wind swept through my hair, sending chills up my spine. I breathed in, inhaling what might be my last breath, for all I knew.

This was the one route I wanted so badly diverge away from. The one area my father had specifically told me to avoid. There was no other way - we had to pass through it.

Great. Just great.

'You coming. Haylee?' Alyssa called from ahead. She glanced back at me, stopping briefly as Ethan took point.

'Yeah. . .' I said silently before jogging to catch up to the others.

***

We continued our way down the main highway. The infected were now roaming the streets in small packs. We took down a few of them and left the rest. Securing shelter was more important right now than wasting our energy on clearing infected. The downtown was surely swarming with infected, after all, this is place where it all began. We would have tired ourselves out before the real fight had even begun.

Alyssa withdrew her knife. She counted down from three, using her fingers, before opening the main door to a building.

When nothing came out, she banged on the doorframe slightly, careful not to alert the others. Eventually, an infected stumbled out from the darkness. Alyssa quickly positioned herself so that she could drive her blade into it's skull. Once the body had fallen limp in her arms, completely lifeless, she shoved the corpse aside and motioned for us to follow her inside.