CHAPTER 09

We dropped down into the gap in the road. We walked in a huddled group, our knives drawn. We couldn't risk using guns - it would draw too much attention. And that was the last thing we wanted.

Ethan covered our front, Alyssa the rear and I took the left. We were beside a wall, so I severely doubted that any infected would be climbing out of there any time soon. Instead, I took the ledge near the body of water. My eyes had scanned it about a hundred times and the result was still the same. I couldn't see a damn thing.

'Keep your eyes open.' Ethan reminded, 'We don't know what's out there.'

I nodded, as did Alyssa.

I squinted into the distance. The outline of a person could be seen at the edge. I tried to get a closer look, to determine whether it was a survivor or an infected, when part of the ledge snapped. I slipped and was about to fall into the water when Alyssa grabbed my hand.

She pulled me up. When I was standing upright again, mustered a "thank you". I was breathless, my heart pounding in my ears.

She offered me a small smile before moving to take the front. 'I'll scout ahead. There doesn't appear to be any imminent threat. I want to see what we're dealing with.'

Before Ethan could argue, Alyssa had already taken off.

Ethan let out a sigh and slid his knife into it's holder. He stopped and placed a hand on my back. I was hunched over, breathing heavily. 'Are you alright?'

I placed my hands on my knees, 'Define alright?' I asked.

'Breathing? For starters.'

I looked up at him, 'Do small panicked breaths count?' I questioned, watching him through the wispy parts of my hair which had fallen out of my pony tail.

Ethan smiled, clearly relieved. 'Yeah. They count.' He straightened. 'What happened, anyway?' He asked, 'I didn't see.'

I stood upright and gestured to the ledge. 'It broke.' I swallowed, 'I thought I saw something,' I quickly glanced up at the area where I'd seen the figure, 'but I guess it was nothing. . .' Ethan let out a wince, making me trail off, 'What is it?' I inched towards him, my hand resting over his. It was poised on his stomach, his face a mixture of discomfort and pain.

He leaned back so he was up against the wall. He then lifted up his black Tee to reveal a patch on his side.

That's why he was clutching his side after I had saved him from that piece of metal. He wasn't sore. He was hurt.

I ran my fingertips over the area and he let out a low hiss. I quickly retracted my hand, 'What did I do?' I asked, panic rising.

He managed a breathy chuckle, 'Your hands are freezing.'

I glared at him. I then nudged Ethan slightly and he let out a groan. 'Ow! What was that for?'

'That was for scaring me.'

He gave me a look before gritting his teeth. He then pulled his shirt down and let out a sharp breath. 'I'll be alright. I've been through worse.'

I raised a brow and he bit his lip, 'Football.'

I nodded, 'Ah. Right.'

I stole a glance at Ethan, my eyes trailing over every feature of his perfect body. His chiseled jaw, high cheek bones, deep-set hazel-green eyes, toned physique, and not to mention, those abs he had hidden beneath that shirt. I had only gotten a glimpse but it was more than enough.

It's like he was sculpted by a freakin' god.

He caught me staring and smiled. I quickly adverted my eyes and stepped back. 'We should probably go find Alyssa. We can't risk splitting up.'

He pushed off the wall, grunting softly. 'Good call.'

Once again. It all comes down to risk. What you could do and what you should do. They're two very different things with two very different consequences.