chapter 13

(NATHAN'S P.O.V)

I scowled as I spent detention by helping the janitor clean the cafeteria.

For once I regretted throwing food at each other as I pushed the mop over the sloppy joe on the floor.

I did nothing wrong and yet here I stood cleaning up this muck. I just hoped that Kevin and Jessica got caught. Suddenly my sister's face came into my mind and I imagined the disappointment on her face if she knew what I had wished for. Natalie had a soft spot for Jessica and she was the reason why I still acted civil towards her. Well, that and the hope that she would change back one day.

Finally, after I had cleaned the entire cafeteria I hurried to the parking lot but before I could even open my Volvo's door, I was pushed to the ground.

I groaned as I got kicked in my stomach. I looked up and I glared at Kevin and the rest of his teammates surround me. 'What the hell dude?!', I asked and got up. Kevin shoved me hard but I didn't fall like last time. 'You ratted out on us, that's why!', he yelled.

'I never said a word you douche!', I yelled and that earned me a punch square on the jaw which sent me to the ground.

'Liar!', he yelled and kicked me again.

'Because of you I got suspended, so did Jess', he spat and I glared at him. 'Well if none of that would have happened if you weren't fucking her in the first place!', I spat and got up but ended up getting thrown to the ground again.

'You wanna say that again?', he asked clutching my throat. I swear that if he had increased the force a little bit more, my neck would have snapped there and then.

'Hey! What's going on over there?', yelled a voice. 'Shit, it's Adrian!', they exclaimed and left me in the parking lot.

Mr. Adrian came up to me and he frowned as he saw my battered up condition. 'What happened? Who were they?', he asked. I remained silent.

'Nate, buddy, tell me', he said but I shook my head. 'Just a bunch of jerks', I said and wiped the blood from my mouth. 'You're hurt, let me get you to infirmary', he said but I refused. 'I'm alright', I said and got into my car.

'As your teacher, I forbid you to drive in this condition, I'll drive you home and I'll get your car later', he said and I had no choice but to obey him.

Mr. Adrian rang the bell and unfortunately, my mother opened it. She gasped as she saw my appearance. 'Nate! What happened?!', she asked but I ignored her and tore into my room upstairs.

After a little while, I could hear my Mom argue with Natalie downstairs.

'He doesn't wanna talk about it, leave him be', said Natalie. 'Did you see him?! He looked like he came back from war!', shrieked my Mom.

I rolled my eyes; leave it to my mom to exaggerate things.

'Did he lose an arm or a leg?', asked Natalie. 'No', she replied.

'Then you can breathe, he didn't secretly sign up for the army', she said and I smiled to myself. Natalie always knew how to make mom calm down.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. A black eye, a bruised cheek, and my mouth looked like I had just drunk some one's blood. Oh, and let's not forget the sore shoulder.

Yeah.

I was perfectly fine

The buzzer in my room buzzed and I pressed the button.

'What?', I asked annoyed.

'Get your ass down here Nathaniel', said Natalie and I scowled at my full name.

'Sheesh, you don't have to degrade me in the process!', I growled and I could hear her giggle.

I slid down the banister ignoring my Mom's death glares.

'You called?', I asked leaning at my sister's door.

She gave me a smirk and I grinned.

'What did you get yourself into this time?', she asked frowning as she observed my battered up state. 'A misunderstanding', I replied and she looked at me confused.

'The stupid jocks at school beat me up cause they thought that I was the reason for getting them suspended', I said.

'Were you?', asked Natalie.

'Hell no! Why should I care about anything that Jess-', but I stopped there because Natalie was very attached to Jessica.

'Jessie? What does she have to do with all of this?', she asked confused.

'I kinda walked in on her and Kevin while they played seven minutes in heaven', I muttered and she rolled her eyes.

I swear if Natalie could walk (yeah, she's paralyzed from her neck after an accident that she had when she was twenty or something) she would have marched up to Jessica's house and shake her till she saw stars.

'She's getting worse by the second isn't she?', she asked tiredly and I shrugged. 'Have you tried talking to her?', she asked.

'I can't even be next to her!', I exclaimed annoyed.

'But you guys-', she said but I cut her off. 'Were friends in some prehistoric past! It's not the same any more Natalie!', I exclaimed.

She sighed, 'Don't give up on her. If only-', she said but trailed off.

'If only what?', I asked curiously.

'Nothing. Go and dress those wounds of yours unless you wanna end up like me', she said quickly and I rolled my eyes as I exited the room wondering what she was hiding from me.