chapter-2

The next morning, Jayden helped Demi carry her luggage to the parking lot. She would be leaving for Alabama while he would still be in Massachusetts.

'That's the last of them', he said and closed the trunk. As he did so he noticed the tears falling down her face. 'Oh, Demi! don't cry' he exclaimed and hugged her tight. 'I don't wanna leave, I don't wanna say goodbye to you', she cried and he stroked her back trying to comfort her. 'I'll always be here, in your heart. So whenever you need me just close your eyes and place your hands on your heart like this', he said and place her hands on her heart. 'Let my face fill your mind and you'll know that I'm right here', he said.

Demi nodded her head and she placed her hand on his cheek and he held it.

'I love you Jayden Walls', she said. Jayden smiled. 'And I love you too, Demitree Elizabeth James', he said and she giggled. Jayden pulled her in for one long last kiss, Demi smiled into the kiss and he gently pulled away because he knew if they stayed any longer, she would miss her flight. He leaned his forehead on hers and she intertwined her hand in his. 'I am here', he said and she nodded. 'I know', she whispered.

Jayden watched as the car pulled away and he stared at it until it was out of sight. He felt his own face getting wet and he quickly wiped it away.

'It's not shameful to cry over goodbyes, young master', interrupted a voice and he turned to find his faithful old butler, Mr. Henry. Jayden smiled as he hugged him, 'It's indeed heartbreaking t to watch young lovers part', he said and Jayden nodded. 'I know that we'll meet again', he said firmly and Henry smiled. 'That's the spirit', he said and patted him on his back.

'Your car is waiting and there is also a special little girl waiting for your arrival back home', said Henry and Jayden's face lit up when his butler mentioned his little sister; Jessica.

Jessica was only a year old and Jayden treated her like the Queen of England. He loved to pamper her even if it meant that he was spoiling her. In his broken life back home, his only solace was Jessica.

Ever since Jayden could remember, his life was complicated. He tried to make some sense into it but realized that there was no use in it when he was sent to boarding school. His parents were famous business typhoons, meaning that they spent very little time with him. Jayden got used to the separation after a while because he had found something to amaze him at boarding; the cathedral.

Although his family considered themselves as Catholics, they were not the religious type. Once when he was in boarding, he was playing hide and seek with his friends. Jayden took his refuge in the cathedral and as he hid, he came face to face with the statue of a man bleeding to death as he lay nailed to a cross. Jayden felt his body go cold and he ran out of the cathedral feeling scared to death.

Ever since then, he started to have dreams about that strange man on the cross. His face was what caught Jayden's attention; it had a certain radiance to it.

A few weeks later, he timidly entered the Cathedral again and crept up the statue. Jayden took to notice that even though this man was bleeding to death, his face still had a certain radiance and peacefulness to it. This confused him and so he continued to stare at him.

'You seem to have an interest in sculptures, don't you?', asked a voice that made him jump. Jayden turned to find a nun with a very kind face smiling down at him. 'No, sister, I was wondering who this man was and what he crime he did to be nailed to cross like this', he replied innocently and the nun smiled.

'That my child is Jesus Christ. He committed no crime, He died to save you from sin', she said. Jayden looked at her confused. 'He did that for me? He died?', he asked frowning. 'Yes, He did that for you but He's still alive. He rose on the third day after his death', she replied.

Jayden was confused now. The nun said that He was dead but still alive and that He sacrificed Himself for him?

'I don't understand', said Jayden and she laughed softly. 'Why don't I tell you some stories?', she offered and he nodded.

From that day onwards, Jayden would go to the Cathedral and sit next to the sister named Rosa Maria who would tell him the stories of Jesus and he would sit wide-eyed as he listened to them. This man named Jesus, who was the son of God had actually died for him and loved him more than his parents! This excited Jayden very much and under the guidance of Sister Rosa Maria, he grew closer to God and soon enough he could feel his sorrow leave him. He no longer felt sad when he thought about his home because he knew that God loved him and that He would take care of him no matter what.

Jayden never knew what real love was till then and he was overjoyed by it when he found out. This certain relationship with God made him a better person. While his friends depended on drugs and alcohol as a refuge from their troubles and problems, Jayden took his refuge in his first hiding place; in the house of God.

Jayden wished to do the same with Jessica, for unlike him, she had no one to make sure that she had moral values to hold on to. His mother, Angelica was not the ideal mother, she barely paid any attention to him and when Jessica was born, he expected her to be a little more responsible but she wasn't.

He had realized that his parent's marriage was falling apart by listening to their frequent quarrels whenever he came home. It was during one of these quarrels that he realized that Jessica was missing. He finally found her outside in her playhouse; shivering. Apparently Angelica had forgotten about her and it was a miracle that Jessica was still alive.

It was during his senior year that his parents filed for a divorce and Angelica claimed custody of the children. Jayden didn't care with whom he lived as long as his sister was safe and was always by his side.

The car pulled up in front of the stone mansion which was situated in about fifty acres of grassland and orchards. Angelica, as usual, was at the company office and so the house was empty except for the servants who roamed the halls like ghosts.

Jayden rushed towards Jessica's room and he smiled as he saw the one-year-old in her crib. The toddler's face brightened up at the sight of her brother and she started to squeal and giggle. 'Oh how I missed you!!', he exclaimed as he picked her up.

'How's my favorite girl in the world?!', he asked and he tossed her up causing Jessica to squeal with joy. Jessica smiled at her brother and started to play with his raven black hair which fell across his face. They both shared their mother's electric blue eyes but Jessica had her father's dark brown hair.

'Guess what?! My school life is over! ', he exclaimed as he rocked her sideways and she laughed. 'You're happy aren't you? Well, that means I get to spend even more time with you!!', he exclaimed happily which caused the baby to laugh even more.

'How's mom?', he asked. As if to show her dislike and anger, Jessica hit him hard on his cheek. 'Owch! I guess that means she's still the same', he said and cuddled his little sister. For the rest of the day, Jayden spent his time with her and when she fell asleep he carefully placed her in her crib and then retreated back to his room.

'Miss James had called you an hour earlier, but I told her that you were busy', said Henry as he came in. 'Oh yeah, I forgot that she would have reached by now! ', he exclaimed and head towards the phone in his room to call her.

'Hey, done playing with your little princess?' asked Demi as she picked up the phone and he chuckled. 'I'm sorry for not calling you! ', he exclaimed. Demi laughed, 'It's alright, besides, it's not like you forgot on purpose. You were just excited about seeing her', she said. 'Yeah, I was. I missed her so much', he said. 'I wish I could see her', said Demi. 'I'll send you some pictures', he said.

'I miss you Jayden', she said. 'I miss you too, Demi', he said and for a while there was silence.

'Demi?' he asked. 'Yeah, I'm here', she said quickly and he chuckled. 'I've gotta go. There's this business meeting that I have to attend', he said. 'But you just got there!' she exclaimed. 'I know, but some people are just born with responsibility', he said and Demi sighed.

'Alright then, Mister Responsibility, go and attend your meetings', she mocked and he laughed. 'I'll call you tonight', he said. 'Alright, bye. I love you', she said. 'I love you too. Bye', he said and hung up.

Jayden sighed as he hung up, it hurt him to be away from Demi and as he sat thinking about her, he remembered how they had met.