chapter 5

Angelica was helping herself to some wine as he entered the car and he tried to suppress his disgust but it came out in the form of a scowl. 'Home', he ordered the driver and rubbed his temples. Violence was not something he loved as it made him feel uncomfortable but he knew that James deserved it.

Jayden tried to steer his mind by starting a conversation with his mother. 'Jessica took her first steps today!', he exclaimed. 'Oh good! That means no more carrying her around!', she exclaimed and sipped her wine. Jayden sat bewildered at his mother's reaction. 'But- but you don't even touch her!', he exclaimed angrily. 'I do, I carried her around for nine freakin' months!', she exclaimed laughing and he just stared at her. 'As soon as she starts talking then it'll be off to boarding school!', she exclaimed and tried to open a champagne bottle.

'No! She stays here with me!', exclaimed a very angry Jayden. 'Silly boy! That's none of your business!', she snapped. 'Yes, it is! I won't let you do this to her! I won't let you make her suffer what I did! And stop this ridiculous drinking!', he shouted and tried to pull the bottle out of her hands but she wouldn't let go. Jessica was getting scared now and so she started to cry.

'Mom let go! Is this the example that you're trying to set for Jess?!', he asked incredulously. A stinging slap from Angelica was his answer. 'I don't care', she hissed and tugged the bottle free from his grasp. Jayden was too shocked but almost immediately the cork exploded with a great force and it hit the driver's head so hard causing him to lose control of the vehicle and the sudden downpour had made it even more difficult.

The car swerved and the wheels slipped. The car crashed into the bridge and down they went. Jayden felt something hit his head hard and he tried to keep himself from blacking out despite the pain which slashed through him. It all happened too fast for him to even figure out what had happened. He tried to see through the water and he finally made out Angelica's hair drifting slowly next to him and he yanked her out through the window which he had managed to open.

He frantically searched for Jessica and he found her floating almost lifelessly beside him. He quickly pulled her out and searched for the driver but there was no sign of him. Jayden hoped that he had swum out and so he went back to get his family to shore.

He finally got them on dry land and lights flashed in front of his eyes and he could feel something trickle down his face, it was too thick to be water.

The crash had caused a part of the bridge to dangerously rip across his head and he was losing blood at an alarming rate.

Jayden looked at Angelica who was stirring now and so he crawled towards his sister. Jessica's little lips were starting to turn blue, 'No! Come on Jess!', he exclaimed desperately and tried to push some water out of her small body. He mustered up all the strength he had left in him and performed CPR, finally, she coughed and then started to cry, The pain almost made Jayden pass out but he smiled as he watched his sister come back to life. 'You're alive!', he exclaimed and held her close. 'I'm here for you Jess, don't cry...', he said and noticed how his voice seemed to be inaudible to him... His eyes started to get heavy... Something bright was coming near...

'Help', he whimpered...His head felt like it was being shredded...Jessica's cries...

'Hush Jessica. I am here'... Then darkness closed all around him.