chapter 12

(JAYDEN'S P.O.V)

It was too much for me to watch her like this, so I got up from the all seeing fountain's rim. Sixteen years had passed and all these years I've been watching her turn from the light to the dark.

It's sinful to mourn in heaven but she's my Jessica, MY SISTER!! I sighed and started to wander about in the gardens. The Rose Garden was my favourite place here and it was home to all the young children.

My eyes fell upon a brown-haired, blue-eyed girl, she made me remember Jessica. I picked her up and placed her on my lap. I smiled as she played with my hair and I remembered how Jessica used to do the same thing with me.

'You seem to be sad', interrupted a voice. I looked up and I was stunned to see the guardian of the garden. 'I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be sad', I said quickly but he simply smiled at me.

'It's alright to feel sorry about the souls below', he said and I nodded. 'Your sister Jessica makes my heart heavy, Jayden. I'm in charge of all the children on earth but it looks as if the Darkness is trying to make her their own', he said and I looked at him. 'Please don't let her fall astray. She has no one to take care of her or to even give her moral values!', I pleaded for I knew the fate of the ones who ignored the signs of Light. I could hear their screams some nights when I walked around the great walls.

'You turned out alright', he said looking at me. 'I had help from Sister Rosa Maria', I replied. 'Hmmm. That does seem to make a difference', he said and smiled.

'If there is anything at all that I can do, please tell me! I want to help her!', I begged.

'She's no different from everyone else', he replied. 'Please, please let me help her! It was my wish to give her new hope!', I cried. The Guardian smiled at me, 'You love your sister very much don't you Jayden?', he asked.

'With my whole life', I replied.

'That was what made you so unique. You never cared about how miserable your life was, you always put your sister's happiness before you', he said and I smiled. 'Its my job to make sure that we save every single child before they cause their own damnation so I guess she could use some divine help', he said and looked at my eager face.

'Shall I send you?', He asked and my face lit up with joy.

'Yes! Send me!', I exclaimed.

'I knew that you would do the job', he said and I grinned.

'You have a month Jayden. Do whatever possible to steer her back onto track', he said and blessed me with the power of his spirit.

I felt a new power seep into my bones and when I opened my eyes; I was back home.

I looked around, apparently, everything looked pretty much the same, well except for me. I caught my reflection in the mirror of a parked car. For a moment I stared at it, I looked older!

It took me a while to remember that it had been sixteen years and that I was supposed to look like this. So, I must be like what? Thirty-three?.

Wow

I'm old.

I walked up the driveway to my house, I noticed a number of cars parked nearby. Something was going on there. I rang the doorbell and almost immediately the door opened.

'Are you here for the interview as well?', she asked politely.

What interview?

I nodded although I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

She took me through the hallway where I noticed that everything looked exactly the same. Maybe a few new furniture here and there but overall, it felt just like yesterday that I was sliding down those banisters.

She opened the door to the study and then bade me in. The room was almost empty save for the few young men who sat there. 'I've heard that she's extremely difficult', said one.

Who's difficult?

'Yeah, I heard that the last one was set on fire!', exclaimed another. 'Why would anyone want to mentor their kid these days?', asked one. 'Rich people', smirked another.

So that's what going on.

It's an interview to select Jessica's new mentor. Well, didn't I have the perfect timing?

Besides, who's better to mentor a seventeen-year-old than her own big brother?

The door opened and I got up for my chance. I was taken into the library, I remembered the good times when Mom would sometimes read me a story in front of the fireplace at night.

I grinned as I saw who the interviewer was, Mr. Henry.

When he raised his gaze at me, he sat there with a bewildered expression. 'Heaven have mercy on me! Could it be?!', he exclaimed and jumped out of his seat.

I didn't want to blow my cover too fast, 'Pardon?', I asked. 'Master Jayden? Is that you?', he asked coming up to me. 'I'm no master, but yes, my name is Jayden', I replied. Mr. Henry smiled, 'You don't have to lie to me. I've been praying for a miracle since your death and the Lord has finally answered my prayers!!', he exclaimed and hugged me tightly.

I smiled knowing that it was impossible to get anything past the old faithful butler, 'Then let it be as you say', I replied subtly.

'Well, I don't think there's a need for any more interviews! I got the perfect man for the job!', he exclaimed and then told the maid to send the rest away.

Mr. Henry looked at me and sighed. 'Miss. Jessica has strayed off the path too much, young master. She needs to be disciplined. You will be her mentor and bodyguard from this very moment onwards', he said and I nodded.

'Oh and please call me Jayden', I said but Mr. Henry simply shook his head with laughter and walked away.

I sighed, I was now my little sister's mentor bodyguard and mentor.