Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings

Start from the beginning

"Ah of course," Vara rolled her eyes, "prince Darius."

"He is a good man, my lady," Torcan said quietly, "he may not always show it. And I know he has his pride, but he cares for his people. He will make a good king. I am proud to follow him."

Vara sighed. "Forgive me. I should not have insulted him."

That made him laugh. "You speak your mind, my lady. It is not something men are used to in Tireze. I assure you his behavior is not always as terrible as he has displayed to you."

Vara's eyes sparkled amused. "I will take your word for it."

"As I will yours," Torcan said seriously, "if you tell me prince Cyrus will be true to my lady Ariane."

Vara was silent for a moment, she wasn't sure she could make that promise. She could hardly control who he welcomed in his bed. "He will not mistreat her," she finally said.

Torcan studied her for a moment and then nodded, accepting that answer. It was probably the best he was going to get. "That is good to know," he said, "I will make sure Darius knows it too. I will tell him there is nothing for him to worry about."

Vara inclined her head. "I wish you a safe journey," she said, "I do hope you will visit us again someday."

"Who knows," Torcan answered with a faint smile, "if my prince allows it."

"Ah yes, your duties," Vara said. Something sad appeared in her eyes, "aren't you ever tired of them?"

"They are all I have left," Torcan said. He looked down. "I know I'll never have a family of my own, so this is the only way I can still bring honor to my father's house."

"I don't believe that," Vara said.

His answer was a sad smile. "You are very kind," he said, "but I have accepted it. It is not so bad a life. And there is no use in wanting for something you know you can't have."

"So you settled for the next best thing?" Vara asked quietly.

Torcan thought for a moment. "No," he said, "you learn to love the things you can have. And then everything else becomes less important."

Vara sighed. "I hope that's true."

He smiled at her kindly and planted a kiss on the back of her hand. "I have no doubt you will find happiness, my lady."

There was a tap on his shoulder. "May I cut in?" The king looked at Torcan, and the young man made deep bow.

"Your Majesty." He nodded at Vara. "My lady."

Vara inclined her head and accepted the king's arm, following him into the next dance.

"Quite the diplomat, that young man," king Marcos commented, "for a moment I feared I would have to force you out of your seat myself. Imagine how that would have looked."

"The first dance is for the prince and his bride," Vara answered smoothly, "the second for other couples. I didn't think I fell into either category."

The king eyed her amused. "You missed four dances, Vara. One more and it might come across as an insult."

"You don't seem insulted," Vara said.

"I know you," the king answered, "and I know this is difficult for you, but we need to form a strong front, Vara. We can't give people the idea we are divided."

"I know," Vara said quietly. She looked at Cyrus who was now dancing with Ophelia. A little further away, Torcan was bowing at Ariane and guided her into a new dance. She still seemed nervous and Vara could see Torcan's lips move as he talked to her, but he was too far away and the music was too loud to understand what he was saying.