Chapter 22 Illusions

Ariane pulled the blanket closer around her and leaned her head on her knees. Behind her in the bed, her husband was still fast asleep. She wasn't sure how to feel. She wasn't sure what she had expected. It had hurt, but she had been prepared for that. He hadn't been cruel. He hadn't been tender. But he had been patient and that was more than enough.

He hadn't sent her to her own chambers after pushing the bloody sheet out the door at his comrades and family. So she had stayed. But she could not sleep. His presence made her nervous.

It was official now. She was a married woman.

She suppresses a shiver. So many duties came with her new position. Would she be up to the task? So far Cyrus didn't seem very demanding.

It was still early. The sun was already up, but the court was quiet. The celebrations had lasted until the early hours of the morning and most of the guests were still asleep. Ariane wondered who would come to dress her. All her clothes were in her chambers. She only had her wedding gown left. Was she supposed to wear that one again?

Ariane sighed. Two more days and they would depart for Tireze. There would be another, smaller, ceremony there for her father and brother. They would stay a few days, discussing politics and other state affairs and then they would return.

Her eyes shifted back to the bed. Would her father approve of him? Their marriage was only an arranged union, but she still hoped her father and her husband would get along.

In the bed, Cyrus stirred and Ariane left the alcove she had been sitting in. He opened his eyes just as she reached the bed.

Ariane lowered her eyes. "Good morning," she greeted softly.

Cyrus groaned and ran a hand across his face. He slowly sat up. "Morning? I need more wine."

Ariane bit her lip and hurried towards the table where she found a decanter. Her hand shook as she nervously poured the liquid in a goblet.

She jumped when she heard his voice at her shoulder. She hadn't noticed him approach her. "You don't have to pour my drinks," he said, "I can do that myself."

Ariane looked up at him hesitantly and instantly turned bright red when she realized he was naked. Quickly she turned her back on him.

Cyrus took the goblet and drank. "No need to looks so shy," he said amused, "we are married after all." His eyes roamed her body, wrapped in nothing but a blanket. He sighed when Ariane stayed motionless, trying to look invisible as if not to bother him. "Have I given you a reason to fear me, Ariane?" he asked. He could feel his annoyance resurface, but he tried to be reasonable. He had promised his grandmother.
Ariane kept her eyes downcast. He barely heard her whispered 'no my lord'.

"Then call me by name," Cyrus said, "and stop acting as if I would hurt you." He finished his wine and turned to gather his tunic.

Ariane bit her lip. "May I ask a question my... Silas?"

Cyrus sighed. "Ask."

Ariane took a deep breath. "I'm not sure what is expected of me. You... You did not sent me back to my chambers. Am I... to stay here? Are there... do you have... tasks for me?"

Cyrus blinked confused. Sent her back? Tasks? What was she talking about? "You are my wife," he said. He might not like it, but it was the truth. "Why would I send you anywhere? And what tasks are you talking about?" It was too early for this. He sighed and rubbed his face. "Do whatever you like," he told her, "go take walks in the garden or make pretty things with needlework or whatever ladies do. Visit my grandmother. Read. You don't need to ask my permission for every little thing."