Chapter 60 Between two fires

Chaos. That was all she would remember of those days. In a split second, Balor warriors worked their way behind the walls of Boncini, fighting, pillaging, hurting. Even if there were good fighters amongst the people of Boncini, the enemy had the upper hand. It wouldn't take long before they would be overrun.

She wasn't sure how many arrows she had fired. She didn't know how many men she had hit. She just prayed it would be over soon.

"Riders!" The shout came from the wall. "Riders from Salvire! Tirèze rides with them!"

She wanted to cry. A sudden rush of relief came over her. At least one of the messengers they had sent out had made it to safety. She didn't even have time to wonder why Darius Tirzé would accompany lord Izem, but she did not care. Help had arrived. And not a moment too soon.

...

"Darius," Torcan could feel the blood drain from his face as he looked down at the smoking estate down the hill. He had never been to Boncini, but he could tell it had been beautiful before the attack. Now all he could see was fighting. He was afraid of what they would find.

Darius gritted his teeth. He knew not to get his hopes up. The rider had needed two days to reach Salvire. The troops had ridden nonstop, but it was still a fair day's ride across the mountains. There was no telling what they would find, but it would not be good. "Keep your head clear," he told his friend, "don't let emotions distract you. Focus on defeating the enemy. The rest needs to wait." A grim expression was on his face as he looked at Torcan. "We will make them pay. Make them wish they had killed you that day."

Torcan flinched slightly. Only rarely Darius would bring up what had happened when Torcan was a boy. This time however it was more than appropriate. He drew his sword and gripped it tightly. "Tirzé!" He charged forward.

Darius' horse was eager to follow, but its owner held back the animal just long enough to turn to Mikos. "Lead your men," he told the boy, "take the West side of the estate. I'll go East. Let's catch them between us."

Mikos gave a startled nod, but Darius had already gone in pursuit of his friend, surrounded by Tirzé soldiers. It was up to him now. He had never let men into battle before.

"My lord."

Mikos looked up and found the captain of the Salvire guard next to him.

"What are your orders, lord Mikos?" the captain asked calmly. He knew the boy was unexperienced, but now was not the time to doubt himself. One doubt on the battlefield could end your life.

Mikos drew a deep breath and sat up straighter in the saddle. He notched an arrow on his bow. "You heard the king," he spoke calmer than he felt, "we will take the West side. Semicircle formation. Don't hesitate and don't hold back."

The captain gave a serious nod and turned to the rest of the soldiers. "Salvire to me!" He drew his sword and held it high. "Charge!"

...

Her bow was of little use now. She couldn't get arrows on the string fast enough, so she was left to stay out of the enemy's line of fire with only a dagger to defend herself. She stopped counting the number of bodies, dead or injured, she had stepped over. She didn't want to look down to see familiar faces.

Cautiously she tried to make her way back onto the wall so she could see the progress her newly arrived allies were making. Secretly she hoped to also see Iason there. At least then she would know he was safe.

Suddenly she was pushed out of the way and a sword swung by her, missing her body by only a hair.

Vara gasped startled. She hadn't even noticed her attacker. The young soldier that had pushed her out of the way now stood between her and the Balor warrior with raised sword. He briefly glanced at her. "You should head to safety," he gently urged her.