Chapter 75 The eye of the storm

Vara arrived at court late afternoon. She knew she was taking a risk. There was no way of knowing Cicero could be trusted, but she didn't see any other option. Iason was away at the border and she didn't dare send out a messenger. Not with everything that had happened recently.

So that was why she had decided to ride to Auros herself.

Lykander had protested against it, saying it was not safe. He didn't trust Cicero at all. He had tried to talk her out of it, pointing out that this might be exactly what their enemies were after, but even he knew it was futile once Vara had made up her mind.

Still, she had listened to him when he urged her to take a guard with her at least. It was one of the soldiers that had originally come from Auros with her and Iason when they first moved to Boncini. A seasoned warrior that was skilled fighting on horseback.

In the end it had proven to be unnecessary. They didn't encounter any trouble on the way and Vara was more concerned with what would happen at home, and if Iason was safe.

She had arranged for Cicero to find lodgings in the village, but had instructed several villagers to keep a close eye on the lord and send word to the king if he did anything to raise suspicion. She had warned them of Cicero's gambling skills. The last thing she wanted was for the Horas heir to pinch the people for money.

Now, she had to focus on her own task.

The guards at the gate were surprised when they recognized her, but let her pass without question.

She said goodbye to her guard as she told him to visit the barracks if he wished, meet with old friends or his family, and that she would call upon him again once she was ready to return home.

Taking a deep breath, Vara waited for a servant to announce her. Before she was let in however, she was greeted by a voice behind her.

"Vee." Cyrus made his way over to her and grabbed her shoulders. He looked her over concerned. "What are you doing here? Did something happen? Was there another attack?"

Vara gently pried out of his grip. "I'm fine," she assured him, "Boncini is fine. I came to speak with your father."

Cyrus was about to say something else when the servant returned. The man cleared his throat. "The king will see you now, my lady," he said as he bowed at her and Cyrus, "Your Highness," he greeted.

"We will speak later," Vara told Cyrus and she entered the study.

Cyrus stared at the now closed door and wondered what was so urgent that Vara felt the need to come here herself. It worried him.

Part of him wanted to walk in after her, but she was speaking with his father. He couldn't just barge in. If there was something he should know, his father would inform him later, or Vara would tell him herself. Besides, he was supposed to meet with Ariane. His wife had asked him to take a stroll in the gardens with her. He wasn't one for leisure strolls, but it seemed to make her happy, and she was carrying his child.

Another child! He hadn't believed it would happen. It had been years since Lucius had been born. But he had hoped.

With one last glance at the door, he made his way to the gardens.

...

Memorizing all the sigils of the Great Houses of Zeir had also been part of Mikos' education. The rule in Zeir was different than in Tirèze, and much more complicated. Tirèze had one king that ruled the entire country. That king could favor other men and give them land and an estate. Those men might receive the title of lord but held no real power. They were outposts of the kingdom, meant to guard the borders and follow the king's instructions. The king's power was absolute.