Chapter 29 Home sweet home

"So many suitors!" Juliette sighed dreamily as she looked at the stack of letters on Vara's table, "I am jealous." She and her sister Celia had arrived at the palace the day before. Vara had invited them both to visit her at court.

"Julie!" Celia scolded, "don't be nosy. It is not your business."

"It is easy for you to say," Juliette pouted, "you have a suitor."

"Well," Celia said pointedly, "perhaps you would find a suitor too if you weren't so nosy."

"Oh!" Juliette huffed.

Vara laughed softly at the sisters' banter. "If you want a suitor, Julie," she smiled, "you are welcome to take your pick from one of mine."

"Don't say that too loud," Celia warned, "she will take you up on it."

"And what is wrong with that?" Juliette questioned, "she is offering and there are so many. Why can't one of them be mine?"

Vara laughed again. "Come one you two. The performers are getting ready. We are probably the last ones to arrive." Today she would be entertaining. The king had suggested she should associate more with the courtiers. People, mostly the eligible young men, needed to see her. She had used the opportunity to invite Iolaus' sisters. She didn't want to be stuck with people like Giulia. The girl still bore a grudge over that incident with her dress.

At least Cyrus would be returning home soon.

"Thank you so much for the invitation, lady Vara," Celia said, "when we last spoke to our brother, we talked about visiting court. I can't believe we are here now."

"There are so many drawings I can make," Juliette sighed dreamily as she eyed the courtyard, "I have done so many of the hills at home. I have been dying for some change of scenery. You must pose for one of my portraits, lady Vara. Promise me you will."

Celia giggled. "You know she can hardly sit still for more than five minutes, Julie."

Vara stuck out her tongue at the older girl, which only made Celia laugh more. Vara pulled a face. "Perhaps, Iason will pose for you." She looked at her silent shadow over her shoulder. "What do you say, Iason? Will you model for Juliette?"

Iason looked at her uncertain. Was she serious or was she making fun of him? He knew there was no ill intent behind her teasing, but he was cautious. "I fear I wouldn't be a very suitable model, my lady. Besides, I'm not so sure you won't use the opportunity to make your escape while I'm occupied." His face held a teasing smile.

"Oooh, you were found out, Vara," Juliette giggled.

Vara pouted. "Now I have to come up with something else."

"Perhaps I should save myself a lot of trouble and just bind you to me permanently," Iason countered.

Celia laughed. "Think of how well that would go over with her suitors."

Juliette hid her laugh behind her hand. "Now that will be something to see."

"Oh hush you two!" Vara said slightly embarrassed.

The sisters looked at each other and laughed even louder. Celia looked at Iason. "I think that's the first time anyone managed to silence Vara." She smiled amused. "There may be hope yet."

***

Ariane bit her lip at the sight of the man. His face was pale and his eyes sunken in. He was so much older than she remembered and it had only been a few weeks. "Father," she announced her presence.