Chapter 7 Thick as thieves

It was the whinnying of the horse that drew her attention first. That’s when she saw the crowd. They were gathered around a small paddock.

Curiously, she walked over, forgetting the chore she was supposed to do; beating the reed mats.

She pushed herself through the crowd of onlookers until she was in front.

The same boy she had seen at the palace a few days before was riding a horse. He seemed to be struggling for a moment, but then had the animal under control and rode around the paddock.

Vara climbed the fence to have a better look. It was a young horse and strong, but the boy appeared to be a good rider. He forced the horse to a halt.

He patted the animal on the neck and dismounted. “It is a magnificent animal, father.”

The king grinned and walked up to his son. “He is yours, son.” He patted the horse. “The best our stables have to offer. A horse fit for a prince.”

Cyrus bowed. “Thank you father.”

King Marcos motioned for a stable hand to take the horse back inside. He let his hand fall on Cyrus shoulder. “Go on, son. Inside. You have lessons to attend.”

Cyrus sighed and nodded.

“Good boy.”

Cyrus slowly made his way towards the fence and noticed the girl. He smiled at her. “You again?”

“Why did you get a horse?” Vara asked curiously. She jumped down from the fence when he joined her on the other side.

“It’s my name day,” Cyrus told her. The girl was amusing. Everyone around her was bowing to him respectfully, except for her. She was looking at him with curiosity and honest eyes.

Vara pouted. “I never had a horse for my name day.”

Cyrus chuckled lightly. He decided not to tell her that her name was not common in the nation. She did not have a name day.

“Don’t laugh at me!” Vara told him.

Immediately, Cyrus put on a more serious face. “Of course. That was not nice. You are right. Please forgive me.”

Vara eyed him suspiciously. She had a feeling he was still making fun of her.

“Please?” Cyrus did his best pout.

Vara sighed and rolled her eyes. It made him laugh. He studied her amused and crossed his arms. “So, what chore did you neglect this time to spy on me?”

“I am not a spy!” Vara stomped her foot. She had told him that last time, had she not?

Cyrus laughed again, but stopped quickly when a shadow fell over him.

The king stared down at him. His arms were crossed and his eyebrow raised expectantly.

His son gave a sheepish grin. “I was on my way to my lessons, father.”

“See?” Vara stuck out her tongue, “you have chores too.”

“And you, young lady?” King Marcos shifted his eyes towards her.

“I am not a lady,” Vara told him seriously.

Cyrus bit his lip so he wouldn’t laugh again, but his father wore an amused smile. “You are Yered’s daughter, are you not?”