Accident

Annabeth sat at home, a book printed in Ancient Greek propped up against her legs. It was dark outside, and around 7:30. Percy always came home at 6:30, so that was worrying, but Annabeth knew he probably just ran into a monster or lost track of time.

As she turned the page, the doorknob rattled and she looked over to see her husband of three years step through the door with a shocked expression. He looked up at her, eyes wide, and a cardboard box in his hands.

"Annabeth..." Percy started. She raised her eyebrows. "Annabeth, I may have, accidentally, kind of, adopted five cats..." Percy muttered.

"What?" Annabeth put her book down, standing to go walk over to him. He passed the box to her, and she looked down to see a tabby cat purring as it slept with four little black and white kittens curled up next to it, "How do you accidentally adopt five cats?" She asked, looking up. Percy grinned sheepishly.

"It's raining out there... The guy selling them was asleep, I woke him up and offered to take them in for a while and...." Percy grimaced, "Well, he shoved the box into my hands and ran."

Annabeth stared in shock for a good three seconds before turning to set the cats on the couch, "We don't even have food for them, Percy." She pointed out.

"Can't they just drink milk?" He asked, tilting his head to the side.

"How would you like only having milk as your meals? No, it's not healthy for them. Especially not the mom." Annabeth crossed her arms, "They're your cats, I hope you know."

"Hey! We're married! What's mine is yours and what's yours is mine, remember?" Percy pouted.

Annabeth glared at him, and he knew that he was right. She just wasn't about to admit it.

"Whatever, Seaweed Brain." She looked down, "You scared me. I thought you'd gotten attacked-"

"Oh. I'm sorry." A stab of shame hit him in the chest. He walked over and wrapped her in his arms, "I love you."

"I love you too, idiot." Annabeth replied, making him grin.

Suddenly, there was a panicked meow from the box and the two looked over to see a little kitten squirming in the corner of the box, digging it's claws into the cardboard. It was almost completely white, except for it's ears and feet, which were pitch black.

"Oh, hello!" Percy leaned down to pick it up. It was like a tiny little cotton ball. The little kitten fit perfectly in the palm of his hand.

"We can't keep them forever..." Annabeth muttered, reaching over to pet it. The kitten leaned into her touch, purring.

"I know." Percy replied happily.