Getting You Back (Part 3)

Annabeth just stared in utter shock, which, of course, frightened Percy. He swallowed, heat rushing to his cheeks.

"I- I mean... I do love you, but... If you don't love me back I'll give you space. I'm not... Uh, pressuring you or-" He rubbed the back of his neck, not meeting her eyes. He was sure she was disgusted, who wouldn't be?

But then he felt her grip on his shoulders, and turned his head. Her lips collided with his and his brain pretty much turned to jelly. Percy wrapped his arms around her waist, careful not to touch her burn, and her hands moved up to his jaw. It was cheesy, but butterflies erupted in his stomach.

She pulled back, still inches away, so they could both actually, you know, breathe. But they kept their eyes closed, as if when they opened them, the reality that they were in would become true. Annabeth would be abused by Luke, Percy would be unable to do anything. At least, without getting thrown in jail.

"I love you too." Annabeth said. Percy looked up at her, his elbows still resting on her thighs, his arms around her waist.

"I love you..." He murmured, running his hands up her spine. Annabeth laughed.

"You already said that."

"I know..." He smiled, bringing his head up towards hers. Their lips brushed lightly, Annabeth's fingers threading into his hair to bring him closer. Percy smiled slightly into the kiss.

Annabeth pulled away slightly to say: "You goof, Percy Jackson." But she barely got through the statement before he kissed her again.

To Percy, it had felt like this moment would never come. When he first kissed his best friend freely, knowing that she loved him as well. It was an indescribable feeling. Sort of like elation mixed with the strongest sense of pure love. But there were other emotions as well. The sense of finality among them. But the whole mess of emotions she stirred inside him was unnamable. And, to be honest, he could barely make a coherent thought anyway.

"Your mom will be home soon." Annabeth pointed out, "And we have some things to talk about..."

"Not yet." Percy complained, scrunching his eyebrows together, looking up at her with his best baby seal impression, "I've waited so long for this." He straightened up, pressing his lips to hers again. She still sat on the counter, her elbows on his shoulders, and he placed his hands on her waist.

"If I'm not home by the time Luke wakes up-"

"You're going back to him?" Percy asked lowly, his voice filling with venom from thinking of Luke. Annabeth thought it was sweet (And maybe a little hot...) how angry Percy was about Luke abusing her. But she looked down.

"Percy... I have to. You have no idea what he'll do-"

"I'll always protect you, Annabeth. I promise." Percy said softly, but Annabeth shook her head.

"That's not it. It's not me he'll hurt if I mess up... It's my family. You and Sally as well. I'm not staying with him to protect myself... Otherwise, I'd kill him and so what if his friends killed me? But... If I killed or broke up with him, he'll kill everyone I love." Annabeth explained.

"Annabeth... Why don't you go to the police?"

"You think that would stop him, Percy? Kronos never left him! Luke is gone!" She looked up, "The only reason he'll stop is if I die. Otherwise, I have to stay with him."

"I... I just got you back." Percy said, "I'm not letting you go..,"

"Well, you have to." Annabeth pushed his hands off of her waist, jumping off the counter, "There's no other choice, Percy." She put her hand to her forehead and decided what she had to do. Percy wouldn't like it, definitely not, but it had to be done.

She spun around to look at him, "Percy, what happened in there," She waved her hand to the kitchen, "It was a mistake. A mistake on my part, and a mistake on yours. It was stupid. Especially with Luke watching my every move." She swallowed, "If you think there's going to be a future for us, you're completely wrong." Annabeth looked up at Percy, watching him take a deep breath, "I'm still marrying Luke." Her voice slowly got quieter, "And... And that's my fate. That's where I die. But it's for a good cause, and that's what counts, right?"

Percy stepped forward, his eyes concerned, "Annabeth, calm down..."

"Don't you get it, Percy? The war isn't over. A demigod's life is the war. And it won't stop until we die. There could never even be a future between us! Going with Luke may be a freeway to my death but it's the only option I have right now."

"Annabeth, we'll figure something out. I love you, and I'm not going to let you go." He said firmly, stepping forward.

"I'm sorry, Percy. I just can't do this." She looked down, "I... Should leave-"

"In the middle of the night? Not on my watch." Percy raised his eyebrows, "Stay here. We'll figure everything out tomorrow. For now... Let's just rest, okay? You're probably tired."

Annabeth wanted to say no and leave, but she was tired and didn't have a car. So, reluctantly, she nodded, helping Percy clean up quietly. Afterwards, she followed him to his room.

"You take the bed, you know, if you feel uncomfortable. We don't have a blowup mattress..." Percy scratched the back of his neck, clearly embarrassing.

"It's fine." She said quietly, "I'm sorry for going crazy. But it felt good to get it all out." She looked up at him. He slowly walked over, wrapping her in his arms (That were nicely defined, thank you very much) and pressed his lips to her forehead.

"I love you-" He grinned, "Gods, it's good to say that. I love you." Annabeth smiled too.

"I love you too, Seaweed Brain."

"Hmm... Say that again." He laid his forehead on her shoulder.

"I love you, Percy." She said quietly, somewhat embarrassed.

"I clearly love you more, Annabeth Chase." Percy challenged.

"Is that a challenge?" She smirked.

"Oh yes." Percy leaned back to look at her in the dark, "You're the apple to my eye, princess."

"Shut up, Romeo." Annabeth laughed, hands taking the fabric of his shirt into bunches as she kissed him.

"I thought the kissing was stupid." Percy breaking apart slightly.

"Then it was. Now?" She leaned up, feeling his delighted smile against her lips.

"We should go to sleep." Percy said reluctantly, "However much I'd like to stand here kissing you all of my life, if my mom came in..." He winced, "She'd probably start squealing and then plan the wedding."

"Okay." Annabeth agreed, but Percy pressed his lips against hers again, "Percy!"

"It's your fault. You're too beautiful." Percy teased.

"Yeah, right." Annabeth rolled her eyes. Percy scrunched up his eyebrows.

"About it being your fault or you being beautiful?"

"Both." Annabeth responded easily. He looked at her softly.

"Annabeth. Don't ever say you aren't beautiful, please. You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Heck, you're out of my league!" Annabeth punched his shoulder after that, "Hey! I'm trying to complement you. Anyway, the point is that you're freaking gorgeous. It's not fair. You could bat your eyelashes and get me to do anything."

"That's not true." She laughed.

"You'd better believe it. Or I'll tickle you."

"Go to sleep, Seaweed Brain." She pushed at his head playfully, making him grin.

They crawled under the covers, Percy slowly putting his arms around her protectively as if wondering if it was okay. Annabeth was fine with it. It's been a long time since someone had held her in their arms the way Percy did; lovingly.

They both fell asleep to the sound of each other's breathing. Completely missing Sally come in and cover a screech of joy with her hand.