Getting You Back (Pt. 2)

Percy wasted no time in slouching to his house and collapsing on the couch in pain.

He didn't know what it was, maybe the old crush that he had on Annabeth. But that was gone, right? He'd gotten over it... Over her.

Yet, here he was, moping because he found out she was engaged. A small part of him wondered if a crush could seriously go this far, but another part of him that overshadowed the smaller portion was feeling an array of emotions. He felt betrayal, even if it didn't make any sense, and anger towards Luke, and even some towards Annabeth. He felt... jealous was probably the best word for it. But it wasn't truly the green-eyes-monster. Instead it was more a deep aching in his chest as he thought of all the chances he had had to make a move on her. But he'd been too scared then, scared of her rejecting him.

"Percy? Did you get the- Oh, what's wrong?" His mom scuttled over, her hands laying on her swollen belly. He looked up, face still pressed into the pillow, "Was there... A monster?" She asked quietly, brushing his hair out of his eyes. Percy shook his head.

"No. The opposite." He turned his head so she couldn't see his face. She paused, clearly trying to figure out what he was saying. He didn't want to say it, but knew she wouldn't let him go if he didn't. He took a deep breath and sighed out: "Annabeth..."

"Oh!" He could practically feel his mother light up in delight, "That's good, how is she? You did ask her how she was, right?" Her tone turned to anxious and Percy snorted. His mother was obsessed with the idea of him and Annabeth being together.

"She's fine," His voice cracked slightly, "Engaged to a fu- freaking monster." His mom overlooked his slip up and she went silent.

"Who?" She asked steadily. Percy felt happiness at the idea that his mother felt the same protectiveness over Annabeth that he did. Well, is it was him, he would have ran to her house by now and beat the love of Zeus out of Luke. His mother was more passive. Like she thought of Annabeth as... A daughter. Percy shoved that thought as far away from him as he could for now. She was getting married to someone. Someone that wasn't him. He didn't have the right to think about her becoming his mom's daughter.

"Luke Castellan." His voice was venomous as he flipped over on the couch, looking at his mother's concerned face. Her lips pressed together. Before she could even reply, Percy practically shouted at her the whole story, glad to get it off of his chest after two years.

"Annabeth is too smart for that, Percy." She said softly, "You know she is. Is it possible that Luke..." She didn't continue, instead started fiddling with her shirt hem. Percy suddenly got the image of Smelly Gabe, then Luke sitting at a table, drunken, ordering Annabeth around.

A rage filled his chest, "He..." Percy swallowed, "She doesn't have a reason to keep him around like you did with Gabe, mom." He said. His mother shook her head.

"Percy, what if she's being forced? Forced to marry him. If he's so awful, she would know better than to run off with him. What if he's forcing her to be with him?"

It took a few seconds for Percy to digest this information, then he looked up at his mother, "What do I do?" He asked. She gave him a soft look, putting her hand on the side of his face.

"Nothing... yet."

///

Annabeth came over a couple nights later, on Sally and Paul's date night so they could have the TV to themselves, to eat pizza and watch a cheesy movie. Like old times.

When someone knocked on the door, Percy practically sprinted towards it, catching Annabeth with her fist still in the air, "Eager much?" She teased. Percy blushed, and she smirked back.