Happy Birthday (Part 2)

Percy was jarred out of his thoughts by a sudden realization. His eyes slowly turned toward the calendar on his wall, and his fears were confirmed.

It was July 12th, Annabeth's birthday, and he'd done nothing.

Exhaustion forgotten, Percy rolled out of bed and went straight outside. The bonfire was smaller now, not that many campers singing around it anymore, but it was a sign that people were still roaming outside and that he didn't need to wait till morning to tell her 'Happy Birthday'.

He walked into the amphitheater, and with one glance over the campers he knew that Annabeth wasn't among them. She must have already gone to her cabin.

Without even thinking of the embarrassment he might face, Percy began his march to the Athena Cabin. No one payed him any attention, most of them so tired or so deep into a conversation that they didn't even notice.

He rapped on the door quickly, stuffing his hands into his pockets while he waited. The door opened slightly, then a figure stepped outside and closed the door behind themselves. Percy squinted in the dark to see who it was.

"Percy? What are you doing?" Annabeth whispered, clearly not wanting to draw attention to them.

"I..." Percy suddenly realized that he might've woken her up, or that she may have been getting ready to go to bed. He started to feel guilty again, "I just wanted to say happy birthday." He smiled sheepishly, "Sorry if I woke you up..."

Annabeth blinked, "Um, no, it's fine. Thanks, Percy." They stood there awkwardly for a moment, shifting on their feet.

"I didn't get you a gift, but I'll give you one later." He promised. His face felt hot, his hands were clammy, and he cursed himself for feeling so nervous around her when it should be so easy to talk to her. She'd notice his nervousness.

"It's okay, Percy," Annabeth looked down, "To be honest, I forgot it was my birthday as well." She laughed slightly, "The only reason I remembered was because of Chiron."

That didn't help his guilt. It was her seventeenth, it should be special. Every one of her birthdays should be special, actually.

"I'm sorry..." Percy shifted, "I should have done something..."

"Percy, I told you, it's fine." She was getting embarrassed now, which was a rare sight. Usually she didn't let things like that bother her.

Percy thought about what an Aphrodite girl had said to him. She had told him that Annabeth wasn't the type of girl to let things like boys or the way she looks get to her. She didn't mess with those things. But, the girl had said, Percy was the only one that could really make her blush.

A crazy, wonderful idea popped into his mind. It was brilliant and shining, mowing over his guilt and confusion to make it's way to the front of his brain. It was stupid, and he wasn't sure that he believed it, but it was possible.

Could she like him as well?

He didn't know what to do with this information. How to test it. Well, he knew a way that he could test it, but it would be unbearably embarrassing if it turned out she didn't like him. You couldn't just go around kissing girls to see whether or not they liked you back. It was ungentlemanly.

So, he'd have to do it the old fashioned way. "Annabeth?" He asked before he could lose his confidence, "Um, I'll make it up to you." She raised her eyebrows and suddenly he felt his courage dwindle in the heat of her gaze, "Uh..."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Um, tomorrow, maybe? Well, obviously tomorrow, I wouldn't make you wait more than a night for your birthday present..." He scratched the back of his neck.

"What are you talking about?" She asked hesitantly.

"I mean," He took a deep breath, "Maybe we could... Uh, talk? Or meet up, or something."

"Are you trying to..." She trailed off and he stared at his shoes, trying to get the guts together to finish what he was saying.

"I mean, you don't have to. But, it would be nice if... If..."

"Percy, spit it out." Annabeth said.

"Like, at Thalia's tree tomorrow, on Half-Blood Hill? We could, like, talk or something."

"Yeah?" Great, now she was teasing him. Percy's face felt hot, and he couldn't meet her eyes. Beautiful eyes, by the way. Just if you wanted to know.

"You're not going to give me a break, are you?"

"No. Continue, I'm listening."

"Fine, then," He took a deep breath, "Iwanttogoonadatewithyou."

"Huh? What was that?" She was smiling, leaning forward like she was trying to catch what he said.

"Gods! You aren't making this easy for me- Stop looking at me like that!" He covered his face with his hands.

"Like what?" She asked.

"Like that! Like you're enjoying this!"

"I am,"

"Shut up..."

"Never." She laughed. Then, she looked up at him with a small smile, "Sure, Percy. I'll meet you there tomorrow?"

"I understand that- What?" He asked, eyes wide. Annabeth went quiet, and it was her turn to look away.

"I said sure..." She wrapped her arms around herself.

"I... Really?"

"Well, it's not like it's a miracle, Seaweed Brain."

"But it is!" He grinned.

"Gods, now I know what you were talking about. Stop staring at me." She huffed.

"Sorry, I'm just happy." He said sheepishly.

"Really?" She asked sarcastically, "You're practically jumping for joy, Jackson." Then, she looked back at him. He had wondered during the few seconds between her statement and the moment her eyes met his whether or not she was going out with him because she wanted to or because she pitied him. Now, he knew. She was happy as well, she just didn't show it as well as he did. But her eyes betrayed her. They had that sparkle in them that Percy loved. The one that was so rare. She was also blushing. She was cute when she blushed, and Percy decided he would make her blush more often.

They were so close. Not just in their relationship, but in proximity to each other. They'd both subconsciously leaned forward a bit, and had shifted towards each other. They seemed to notice this at the same time, but didn't move away. The only sign that they had noticed was where their gazes were. Simultaneously, the two's eyes had flicked toward each other's lips.

And the girl that had given him his first kiss closed the gap between them, and gave him his second.