Fire Father AU! Part 1... Maybe...?

Grillby rubbed his back with a deep sigh that clouded the air in front of him. Tracks followed behind him in the pure snow that's only produced in one place. It was dark all around the fire monster, caused by the rocky cavern he and many other monsters called home. It was closing time in Grillby's, and the restaurant's namesake was in the back, moving a trash bag to the dumpster. He heaved the bulging sack into the large metal bin with a final huff.

Grillby winced, and rolled his shoulders uncomfortably. Stupid neck, he thought bitterly. I just want some rest. His head of fire raised hotly.

He petted his neck gently, buried deep in his thoughts about his unfairly small bed. Grillby mildly teased himself about being a cheapsake, despite him knowing this isn't true. His funds just go to other important things... silly him, wanting a bigger bed that he hardly even uses...

"I'm just a little nervous, that's all." Grillby jumped at the womanly voice, and whipped his head around so fast his glasses flew off. He sliently cursed as he dropped to his hands and knees; melting some of the blurry snow in the process, as he frantically tried to find his glasses.

There! He found something... Wait. It was oddly shaped... and it felt like... fur? What is this?

Then, Grillby lifted his gaze higher. He gasped and almost flinched backward. Wh-who is th-this? Grillby's fire peaked as his nervous energy soared. His gloved hand was being elevated and suddenly...

"I'm sorry! Sir, did I scare you?" Grillby couldn't quite make out who exactly this monster was. Was is one of the bunny sisters? No, it couldn't be. I don't recognize that voice. Grillby knows a good deal of everyone in Snowdin; it comes naturally if you make a restaurant, but this definitely wasn't anyone he knew-

"Oh! Does this belong to you?" Something cold and smooth touched Grillby's leather gloves. My glasses, Grillby realized and tentatively placed them on.

A face appeared out of nowhere! Grillby fought back a yelp. She was a goat monster with an amethyst and lapis colored robe, and on it's center emblazoned the Delta Rune. She carried herself with the elegance of a queen, and yet her ruby eyes were not unkind.

Her muzzle was stretched into a friendly smile. "There you go. I hope you aren't hurt, are you?" The fire man could only manage a shake of his head.

"You must still be stunned." Toriel bowed, her white floppy ears dangling in space. "I am Toriel. How are you doing?"

"G-good." Grillby stuttered. "I am Grillby, and nice to meet you." Grillby now stood fully up, brushing off his fancy suit.

"Likewise. Oh! My child..." A tiny hand was attached to Toriel's dress. A minute head grew from behind her back. The child's face was fearful as they eyes squinted at him.

"I-is this your little one?" Grillby bended down and put on a approachable look. He grinned at the youth as they ducked their head back into fabric.

"Yes. I am... taking them somewhere." Toriel gazed at Grillby curiously as he righted himself. "I am accompanying them because they can't... I mean, they... are..."

Grillby felt concern skyrocket inside him. He always loved to help people, more than himself, and this mother was definitely calling for help.

"They are deaf." Grillby's eyes widened and his fire rippled in surprise. Somehow, he wasn't expecting that. A stone lodged itself in the pit of his stomach as pity manifested.

Toriel sighed, her own eyes shining with sadness and other secret feelings Grillby couldn't describe. "I'm not sure why I'm telling you this, but I'm worried. I want to be able to communicate with them, however I can't. This is why..."

Toriel trailed off weakly. The fire man contuined nursing his understanding, until a thought crashed into him. Duh! Why am I so dumb sometimes?

Grillby dipped his head, pushing up his glasses with a annoyed flick of his hand. "I-I would like to help, if you don't mind. I can teach th-them sign language, a-a-as well as you, so you will be able to communicate eff-ffectively." Grillby gestured throughout his conversation, then ended is with a small cough. He usually didn't talk that much before.

Wrinkles appeared around her eyes as she beamed, but Grillby read some exhaustion in her face. "Thank you, I think this would help us very much."

Grillby trudged to his back door, dragging his black shoes along the ground. "Come in through here, you look like you could use a rest." Grillby opened the door for her with a creak. Toriel walked through the doorway; leading her child down a small hallway, ducking her head along the way, and glanced at the decor.

The inside, much like the outside, was made out of wood. There was many seating areas, all of the seats a bright red. A old machine stood in the back, one that Grillby never been able to get to work, leaned against the wall. The bar stretched out with many chairs stacked on top of it. Shelfs also lined the back wall, with random bottles and cups filled with colorful drinks.

"Is this your restaurant?" Toriel inquired with a raised eyebrow. Grillby nodded apprehensively. "Where do you cook your food, then?"

Grillby gave her a dorky smile, and mimed raising a frying pan above his head. "I cook i-it on my head."

Toriel burst into laughter and Grillby joined in; though Grillby saw the kid look confused. Oh yeah, that's the whole reason I'm here... Numbskull!

"Fire Exit...?" Toriel read, and Grillby snapped out of his thoughts. He realized she was talking about a sign hung above the back door. Speaking of numbskulls...

"One of my customers put it-t there." Grillby explained with a fond tone.

Toriel giggled, "Look's like one of your customers has great taste."

Grillby's shoulders shook with amusement, and he slowly made his way to his bar. "Would you like something to eat?" He said as Toriel sat on a booth and put the child on her lap.

"Yes, please." Grillby took out a two icy burger patties and fries and pretended to lift it to his head. He stalked his way to the actual kitchen, chuckling.

Toriel is very nice! I wonder where she came from...?