Chapter 42

Danny

I can hear some music playing and the room seems very bright. "Did I sleep late?" I think as I wiggle my fingers and feel hair wrapped around them.

I open my eyes to see a sleeping Emily next to me. Last night she said "I love you" and that she regretted saying goodbye. I knew she would come around, once you get a taste me you can't stop the addiction.

"I'm so funny I should make a note to keep that joke around and use it next time she's awake." I think to myself.

I lay here and take in this moment not wanting it to end. The thing is my life is incomplete without this sassy, beautiful and caring woman in my life.

I'm lost in my thoughts when a pair of lips kiss my chin. I run my fingers through her hair. "Morning Sunshine." I say and I can feel her snuggle closer to me.

"Morning handsome." She said and I can hear the sleepiness in her voice.

"Em?"

"Yeah?"

I pull her close and kiss the top of her head. "Thanks for taking care of me. Thanks for not leaving me." I say and I feel her squirm in my hold.

"Danny, I will always take care of you no matter our status. I will never leave again if you give me a second chance."

Promises, promises, promises....that's all we keep saying. I know we mean them but damnit I want to stop promising and actually mean it and it happen. I know I'm being mean after she's given me second chances but this is where we stop being teenagers in puppy love and actually act like adults that are a married couple.

I moved away and sat up in the bed. "Emily I'll give you a second chance if you can answer my questions." She scooted away from me and gave me her full attention. "Sunshine, when did you realize it was a mistake?"

"What?"

"Emily, the minute you told me it was over my heart broke into a million pieces. I tried to con my way back into your heart by falling asleep next to you on the couch at the hospital. I tired to prolong us from telling Collin that we were romantically done. I then tried to get away from you by keeping busy and never being home." I confessed to her and then I rub my face trying to make my thoughts come together. "The thing is I never stopped loving you and I wanted you back the moment you ran away from me and from us."

I was hurt by her actions and I beat myself up and even tried to drink my days away when she ran off. When she said it was over I knew that I wouldn't survive if I couldn't have her, little did she know that I was going to end the contract if a month's time if she didn't come back and be with me for real again. I was going to just leave and never look back, maybe travel the world, because I knew I could never be happy or fall in love again.

I was going to save her and myself from hate by not sticking together. I didn't want to lose her forever by keeping her if she really wanted to leave. Who knows maybe time apart would have helped, but having her around even if it was as a friend would be better than never seeing her again. I know, that it would have never worked out like that. I wouldn't be able to take it and would have just left leaving my broken heart behind.

"Danny, the moment we came home from the hospital and I woke up in our bed without you there. I wanted you back and I was afraid that I-"

"Then why didn't you take me back!" I shouted at her. I want her to realize that yeah maybe I hurt her feelings, but damnit I have feelings too! She can't go off running and crying when I'm here and she needs to talk to me!

"Danny I was afraid if I took back my words then you would be cautious for a couple days then walk all over me and my feelings again."

I realized that she's right. Maybe I've been treating her horribly and never listened to her and her views. Damn, maybe I should practice that moving forward.