Chapter 19

Emily

"Hello?"

It was a familiar voice, but I wasn't sure who it was, I didn't recognize the number.

"Yes, this is Emily Lockett. May I ask who is calling?"

That's when the lady said her name. It all clicked together. I was surprised she didn't call Daniel or even sent someone over to fetch me.

"Well, hello to you too Mrs. Rhiner."

She started talking to me about the engagement party and also the fact that I needed to let her know who I was inviting, that is if I'm inviting anyone.

The thing is, Daniel said we can have one for all my friends that will likely not be invited to the one she is throwing.

Well I guess I can invite who is going to be in my wedding, that's if they agree to be in my wedding.

Thinking about the wedding made me start to think about marriage and being married.

I wanted to get married and have a life like the one my parents had. The thing is I never seen myself being a parent right out of high school to my brother, literally being dirt poor, marrying a man for money, and especially not falling in love with this said man.

Mrs. Rhiner brings me out of my thoughts when she mentions dress shopping.

"Excuse me Mrs. Rhiner but, I have a dress here that I can wear to the party." I tell her not wanting to spend too much of Daniel's hard earned money. Plus I haven't worn all the outfits that his personal secretary at the time bought me.

She tells me that I must have something fresh and new for this special occasion.

"Okay, I'll meet you there at two o'clock. Yes I'll bring my maid of honor with me. Thank you and see you soon."

I hang up with Mrs. Rhiner. The thought of her actually calling me sort of surprised me. I figured a personal secretary of hers or even Daniel would have called me and set everything up.

I just don't feel as though she accepts me the way Daniel keeps telling me she does. I personally think that she is just tolerating me and only because I can have kids and she wants a grandson; plus before I came around Daniel was no where close to settling down. Maybe I'm her only hope for him in her eyes.

Then it hits me, I need to find a maid of honor and later when Daniel gets home we need to figure out our wedding party.

"Omg! I have no maid of honor! I need to talk with Ava now!" I yell as I quickly run upstairs and just pull possible outfits from my closet and stuff into a bag. I was about to leave my room when I remembered the gift. I quickly go and grab it.

"I'll get dress and ready at Ava's, I just hope she's home." I say to myself as I run outside and jump into my car with...whoever my driver is today.

The drive was not long enough for me to figure out how to bring the subject up to Ava about being my maid of honor. Why was I so nervous? I was her maid of honor, why wouldn't she want to be mine?

When I arrived at her house I told my driver for today,whose name was John, thank you and to wait here until I was ready to leave.

"Okay, here goes nothing." I say as I knock on the front door.

I waiting outside, and I just wish I was as lucky as Ava. She has it all, a husband who is also her best friend, a baby on the way, and a family that loves her very much.

Yeah I'm jealous, but I can never tell her that because it will ruin our friendship. I just wish life was as kind to me as it was to her and Jacob.