Work It Out

Thursday, November 26th 2015
Jhene

Today was Thanksgiving, two days after the phone call with Sean. I was surprised when Sean asked me if I warned Derrick. I didn't actually think it was a big deal. But the way he reacted I knew I had messed up.

Sighing I unlocked my phone to check my social media sites. Since Sean is basically ignoring me and the twins are still sleep I pretty much had nothing to do and no one to talk to. Maybe I should call Sean to apologize...no he'll come around soon.

"Jhene! Come downstairs."

I gently tossed my phone on my bed and made my way downstairs. When I made it to the last step, my mom was waiting for me.

A lot of people would often mistake me for being my mom, I wouldn't blame them. Me and my mom shared a lot of features, from our almond eyes, to our long black hair, even our height. Since my mom is Japanese her almond eyes are little more...authentic. But don't get me wrong, she act far from a typical Japanese mother.

Placing her hand on her hip, she looked at me up and down.

"Why aren't you dressed?"

I looked down at my ripped boyfriend jeans and simple white shirt.

"I am dressed mom."

She rolled her eyes. Oh lord, cue the dramatics.

Dramatically using her hands to gesture towards my outfit she tugged my shirt a little.

"It's Thanksgiving and you look like a bum. Your grandparents are coming Jhene."

My eyes widened. My grandparents are traditional, they still think ladies should wear dresses no matter the occasion. So to avoid hearing another speech about proper dressing, I turned around and headed up stairs to change.

I haven't dressed up for any holiday since my mom thought I was old enough to dress myself. Taking a deep breathe, I looked at all my options. Since it was November and cold as hell I settled on a brown turtle neck dress that stopped exactly at my knees, knee length boots, and a tan trench coat.

I kept my make up simple and did my hair into a bun. Satisfied with my look I checked the time. 4:46 pm. I got less than a hour before family would start showing up.

Grabbing my phone I seen texts and missed calls from the twins. None from Sean. After sending a quick text to both Brit and Justine I tucked my phone into my trench coat pocket and made my way downstairs.

Before I even made it all the way downstairs I heard my loud ass family. But two voices in particular stuck out. Walking into the living I seen my dad, mom, and two faces I haven't seen in a while.

"JAMILA?"

My older sister smiled and quickly gave me a bone crushing hug. After we pulled out the hug I sat next to her on the couch. Which happened to be directly across from Sean.

What the hell was he doing here? And why nobody tell me he was here? My mind was racing with a million thoughts, even my heart started racing. The way he was looking at me did no justice to calm me down either.

So instead of returning the eye contact I focused on my sister. Hopefully she'll take my mind off him.

"When did you get here?" I asked while taking in her features.

She also shared our almond eyes and long black hair but instead she stood 5'7 taking the tallness from our father. Jamila was definitely different in personality wise, she was more outspoken. While I was more quiet but that didn't stop us from being practically best friends.