Chapter 4: The Two Kings Meet

After doing the rewrites, I realized the last chapter was really long. So found the best place to split it up and moved half of it here. This one changed POVS again as it was originally all Ana's POV.

𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷

Merlin awoke to birds chirping. A glance around confirmed that he was the last one awake. Why he was allowed to sleep that long, Merlin would probably never know. Asking Arthur would only result in teasing him about being lazy. The fire had been left to die out, with only a few embers still burning. Most of the Narnians were picking up the camp and those that weren't were handing out food. Merlin stood to help and the blanket puddled at his feet. He recalled the events of the night and looked around, puzzled. Gwaine sent him a mischievous grin, but nothing was forthcoming.

Sighing, he gathered up the blanket and handed it off to a passing man. Then he began looking for the others. Arthur and Leon were together, likely discussing their next move. He had seen Gwaine earlier so that just left Percival and Eylan unaccounted for. Before Merlin could question it though, Percival emerged from the trees. He could only assume the Knight was returning from patrolling the area. Which meant just Elyan was missing.

Merlin frowned and approached Arthur. On his way, he noted that one of the horses seemed to be missing. The calm white one—Ana's horse. And then he noticed that she too was missing. From that, he was able to assume two things. One, Elyan had taken a turn for the worse and Ana had taken him to get help. Two, Arthur was greatly displeased with his Knight being sent off alone. Merlin could only guess why Arthur hadn't awoken the rest of them and insisted on going. Perhaps that was what he been discussing with the general last night, Merlin thought.

"Enjoy your rest, Merlin?" Arthur teased as he approached.
"No..." Merlin answered, smiling. "I was kept awake by your loud snoring." It wasn't true, but he could still tease him about it.
Arthur rolled his eyes. "Then what's your excuse for sleeping so late?"
"Who's in a hurry to see your dreary face?" Merlin retorted, earning him a snicker from Gwaine.
The King scowled but said nothing on the matter. Instead he explained what happened last night. "Elyan ended up with a fever. By the time we woke up the girl, she determined his wound had become infected. She didn't have the supplies to treat him so she took him early this morning to see their physician..." Leon nodded and Merlin assumed he had witnessed most of it.
It was Percival who spoke up. "So we have no choice now... We must head into the heart of their Kingdom."
Arthur grimaced. "Unfortunately... We must be on our guard at all times. Who knows what this King of theirs is like? Perhaps he is some powerful sorcerer. This could all be some kind of pretense to lead us into a trap."
"We'll be careful, Arthur," Leon said. "But for some strange reason... I think we can trust them."
"That is a luxury I cannot afford."

Everyone, unfortunately, understood. Arthur had been betrayed too much to just trust anyone now. Everyone seemed to have ulterior motives.

They five stayed together as the rest packed up the camp. Since the Narnians had started earlier, they were able to get a move on rather quickly. General Thaddeus offered Arthur the remaining horses, but he declined. Seeing as they had no idea where they were going, it was pointless of them to ride on ahead. The general seemed to understand that. With the exception of the mice—who were perched on the shoulders of several Narnians—everyone continued on foot. With the two injured people gone, there was no need for them to rush. The remaining hours carried their supplies as they were guided by the men.

Most of the journey was uneventful. They group made good time and Merlin even managed to strike uo a conversation with a few of the Narnians. With the exception of Druid camps, he had never been around so many magical creatures. Especially ones like this. He was curious about them and since Ana wasn't there, he had to ask them. Many seemed intrigued at his curiosity and answered most of his questions willingly. Merlin was able to learn more about what kind of creatures they were and what others he might find if he stayed long.