Painful Rejection: Chapter Five - Suddenly Undead

Start from the beginning

Michael greatly resented Helms for what happened to his mother nearly nine years ago but he also resented the science division of the Court. When his mother was bitten by the test subject, she screamed and cried for help as it ripped her limbs from her body but the other scientists were too frightened to do anything and left her to die. His father insisted her be the one to end his now turned wife and though Mich hadn’t seen his mother’s attack or murder first hand, he still had nightmares imagining what happened even to this day. Though he doesn’t detest the Court as a whole for what happened to his mother, he does blame it in a sense for not taking the threat more seriously and providing minimum security for his mother’s facility.

“And you’re telling me that the military  hasn’t caught this guy yet? What is the government doing,” Archer demanded, his fury apparent as he balled his fists, beginning to shake. “These things are wandering the forest of my territory, my home, endangering my people and has hurt who knows how many people because the government deemed this threat less than necessary?”

“That’s the thing. Helms is dead,” Shane stated,

“Clearly the guy didn’t do a good job of killing him,” Brendon mumbled staring down at the corpse before suggesting, “Maybe he was in league with this guy?”

“One problem with that theory,” Harmony said with a sigh. “I’m the one who killed him.”

“What,” the two exclaimed in unison.

She slowly nodded, casting her gaze down. “Two years ago I was on patrol around the pack’s territory, I had just finished my training at the academy when I had the unfortunate luck to run in Helms’ creations then he appeared, I didn’t even know who he was but I saw he was controlling the creatures so I just went for him and that was that.” She brought her hard gaze on Brendon and Archer, narrowing her eyes. “But I know he is dead because I’m the one who drove a knife through his heart though it was sloppy from me being new and all but I know it went through him, I delivered his body to the Court myself and I watched his body burn.”

“Think it’s possible that there could still be a few of these guys wandering about,” Mackenzie asked.

“It’s possible but then the question becomes why are they here,” Mich said, pondering to himself. “The last sighting of them was back home and I mean, they’d be more likely to go from Vermont to Canada than Vermont to  New York.”

“Maybe someone brought him back,” Shane suggested.

Kenzie smacked the back of his head. “His body was turned to ash.”

“Necromancers,” he offered, sheepishly.

She sighed, shaking her head at him.

“Would have to be one hell of a strong necromancer,” Harmony added. “More powerful than Lord Magnus.”

“Oh! We have to report this to the Council,” Michael exclaimed suddenly.

“I don’t think they’d be very happy if we informed them of two of Helms’ creatures. We don’t even know what this is yet, Mich,” Harmony said with a tone of caution.

“True, but we have to tell someone,” Kenzie said.

“Simone would be the best guess of who to tell,” Mich stated before taking out his phone.

Harmony suddenly jumped forward and took hold of his hand. “Mich, I could get in serious trouble if something did happen and he was brought back to life.”

He raised his eyebrow to her questioningly. “Are you in league with Joseph Helms and did you stage his death so he may elude capture?”

She made a face of disbelief. “Of course not!”