37: Never Blink Again

DAVIDS POV

My eyes hurt so badly. My head felt like it was still spinning.
But I could cope. I could break through.
I opened my eyes slowly.
Then closed them again.
I blinked several times before my eyes adapted.
I put one hand on my head then sat up.

A cheer.

A large handful of children that I didn't know surrounded me, along with my own children and Nicole.
This made me think.
This is who I really am. I am a child friendly YouTuber with fans.. Fans who care about me. This is who I am.
I was happy. So so happy. I covered my mouth as I tried to keep back my tears of joy.
People cared about me.
I meant something to somebody.
"David." I looked over to see Joe.
I couldn't help but smile,

"Call me Squid."

"For everything I did I'm sorry." He said,
"Stamps- you didn't do anything."
"Next time don't close your eyes." I said,
"I'll never blink again, Squid. Wouldn't want to miss a thing." He said.
I bent over to his bed, he bent to me and we shook hands in the middle, looking sincerely into his eyes.
"You alright mate?" I asked him,
"Yeh, you?" He replied,
"I..." I could help but think of my dad.
" I can't believe what I've done." He sighed, looking at me,
"These things happen." I sighed,
"No they don't." He replied, sharply.
"I am sorry and I will make it up to you, I promise." He said.
This gave me an idea.
"Do you want to make it up to me now?" I said, smiling at the look of confusion on his face.
"Nicole, love, could you pass me my jacket?"
"Yeh.. Sure." She looked confused as well.
I retrieved my jacket and looked in my bottom pocket.
I pulled out the tiny box and gave it to Joe.
His eyes widened, big and green and they started to water.
I nodded to him.
You can do this Joe. Show her that you love her.

"Sqaishey?" He said, calling her over,
"Yeh?" She said, sitting beside him,
"Sqaishey, Beth.. Love.. I-" he looked back at me,
"Your the only one in the room, Stamps." I said, trying to comfort him.
"Beth. I know that I have done things that I never should have done and I know that my mind may be scared for life with violence and gore. I- I'm sorry I really am. I know now, now isn't really the most adequate time but- it might just be the only time we've got left. So Beth, I'm gonna ask you something, would you give me another chance and.. And will you marry me?"

It was like the whole room was in shock, even me who initiated the proposal!

..

"Joe?" She asked,
"Yes?" Joe responded,
"You took the words right out of my mouth!"

It took a small while for Joe to get that, but soon after they were hugging and Beth planted a quick kiss on his lips while her eyes watered.

"How was that a gift to you?" A boy said.
"I love seeing people happy." I answered truthfully.
"Daddy?" Rosie said, quietly.
"Yes pet?" I replied.
"See it is him!" James said.
I lifted them both up onto my bed.
"Do you not recognise me with my big black eyes?" 
"Why are you always not well?" James asked me.
I sighed, giving a look of sadness,
"I'll try to be well from now on." I said. Nicole looked at me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "Come on you two lets go down and get something to eat." She said.
"Is dad coming with us?"
She looked at me,"no not yet."

After Nicole left it was just stampy, Beth and the other kids. There ages ranged from about 10-14 all of them used to watch us before the war.

I looked over to Beth and Joe.
"Guys if you want to close the curtains feel free I'm just gonna have a chat with these guys."
I told the kids to find some space around me whether it was on the bed or on a seat near it .
Beth closed the curtains on Joes cubical and they had some time to themselves.

"So guys! Do you all know each other or  is this just weird?" I asked them.
"We all know each other." One said,
"We are all living in the social housing estate -we're adopted."
I instantly felt bad for giving my children so much attention and love in front of them.
"Is it alright there?" I asked,
"Yeh! We get to see each other everyday!"
I was happy that they were happy.
"Guys are any of you up for a live stream?"  They all chanted yes.
"Alright-  STAMPS MAKE SURE YOU KEEP IT DOWN IN THERE!"  I shouted, the kids laughed, "love birds!"

I got my phone out, went onto YouTube and pressed record live.

"Heeellooo everybody and welcome to a live stream! Squiddy and friends! In a hospital! Sorry about the face, I.. I fell" I then winked to the kids.

"Today I'm going to have an extra long live stream, should I have like a 24 hour live stream? That'd be cool. Please don't feel obliged to keep watching this, you'd get rather bored! Anyway- let go show you these awesome guys. Say hello!"
I showed the camera all of the kids waving.
"By the way you can ask us some questions on the comments."
We started answering lots of questions till Joe and Beth decided to show themselves.
" 'Ello you two." I laughed.
Suddenly I had a horrible feeling in my gut.
I handed the phone to Joe,
"Guys can you go over to stamps for a little while, you can tell him what's going on, bring your chairs if you like."
When everyone went over to Joe I quickly closed my curtains.  And pressed the red button behind me, signalling that I needed help.
My head was thumping, it felt as if a knife was stabbing its way out towards my temples.
I couldn't see anymore.
Last thing I heard was a loud, "David?!" Coming from Joe.
I don't remember anything after that.