17: Reunion

Davids pov

I woke up. I didn't dare open my eyes. I could already see the light under my eyelids.
The side of my face was in utter pain, I couldn't feel relaxed. The air I breathed in wasn't oxygen, at least, not all oxygen.
I reluctantly opened my eyes.
It was grey. So grey.
I was in a hospital, it was raining outside. All I heard was telephones ringing, monitors beeping. And heavy breathing.
No one was talking.
I looked at myself. It occurred to me that I was not wearing any clothing but my sheets came up to my waist, where tubes containing morphine had been connected to my arms and some other tubes connected to my chest.
I saw my phone by the side of the table, I went to lift it before I saw her..
Her hair was black, her fringe was side swept.
Her face was chubby and white.
Her eyes were bright blue with long lashes.
She smiled at me.
"N..nic..Nicole..?" My nose tensed, my eyes flashed. My wife, here, before my eyes. She looked back, two little faces popped out from behind her.
The boy was dressed in a red jumper with blue trousers, his hair was short and blonde, his face was slightly chubby and his cheeks were red. The girls hair was short and brown, it curled at her neck. She wore denim dungarees and a pink and purple stripy top underneath.
A tear fell down my eye. I was too in love to speak. I gazed at them. My children. My beautiful children. Nicoles face blocked my view, I bent out to her, put both my hands on her face, rubbing a tear off her cheek with my thumb. I kissed her. I kissed her for the memories, I kissed her, for she had to go through the hard times without me, how she had brought up my children and cared for them for two whole years as I've been gone and fighting for no one.
"Nicole I-" I kissed her again, "I love you-" she continued kissing me. I heard the children chant, "eew!" Nicole and I looked into each others eyes before laughing. I lifted the boy up onto the bottom of the bed and lifted the girl up afterwards, Nicole sat right beside me, leaning her head on my shoulder.
"They are the most beautiful children I- " a tear fell down my face,
"Hey, will you tell daddy your names?" Nicole said, looking at her children.
"J..James?" The boy, James looked to his mother, Nicole.
"Don't look at me, look at daddy." Nicole said, smiling.
"Mm.. James." James said, looking at me, I ruffled his hair, "hello James." I said,
"I'm Rosie." Rosie said, fiddling with her hands. I curled them in my arms,
"Oh! Did you know who I'm named after?" James said, socialising.
This struck me, I looked to Nicole, who dipped her head, smiling.
"Who?" I asked,
"Um.. He was called James.. He was your friend? Mum said he can have another life in me." My heart sank, tears were about to form.
"He was a great person, and I know your going to be even better." I said.
I cuddled my two children for the two years I missed them so much, I lent my head on Nicole,
"Nicky?"
"Uh?" She replied,
"Thank you, thank you so much." We kissed again, the children lay on either side of me, sleeping.
"You can go down, have some time to yourself if you want-" I offered,
"I wouldn't leave you again for the world." She said. We broke into a hug,
"Oh I missed this, I missed this so much." I sighed, for now, I couldn't feel the pain, I couldn't feel the hurt . I felt so happy, I felt loved again.

But I had to bring it up.

"Do you know anything about Joe or Beth?" I asked. Nicole looked down, "it's not looking good, Dave. Don't- don't get your hopes too high." I lent back on the bed, wiping my brow.
"I- I know, they both mean a lot to you.. Do you want to see them?" Nicole said.
I would have said yes ten minutes ago. But right now, with my children fast asleep on me, and my wife beside me, I wasn't so sure.
"They're asleep, we can just wheel you."
I was pushed beside all these beeping things. The children must have had a late night or an early morning, nothing was waking them.
I was pushed through the doors into a room. Nurses were working there.
"Sorry this room is not for u... Oh.." One of the nurses said, seeing me.
"Wait I must check your morphine levels.."
I couldn't see straight, I looked back at the door. People were walking in.
Netty, it was Netty, then, in her hand Tom. I whispered their names, Nicole put her hands on my shoulders, but I had to look over her to see, "ash.." I saw him, he walked over to me, he smiled, then saluted me. Amy was behind Tom, she flicked her hair and looked over at me, smiling.
"David- David?!" Nicole blocked my view. I tried to look over to see where they were, I couldn't see them anymore.
"Theyre gone." I said, pointing to where they were.
I felt tired, but too eager to sleep, I needed to find them. But- reality struck. They were dead. I breathed in and out, nurses surrounded me. Taking away the morphine and drugs.
That's when I was shown Beth and Joe.
I saw Beth. Her face was shredded and red, I made sure the children weren't awake, I continued to pet their hair. I looked at her, the once beautiful woman, destroyed, scarred for life. I had to ask a question. .
"Is she dead?" I asked,
"We've tried all we can, we are sorry-"
"Well you'll try harder!" My life infuriated me. I felt that this was all my fault.
"Dave- Dave you need some sleep.." Nicole tried to soothe me.
"No- no where's Joe? Where is Joe?" Tears were starting to form again, "and you aren't going to tell me there is nothing you can do- he.. He defea-"
I saw him.
His stomach was covered in dried blood, his whole body was red with bits of skin peeling off.
I scratched my neck. "Please." I leaned back, putting one hand across my eyes. "Please.. He's... He's the best friend I've got, I've lost all my others.." Nicole put her hand on my shoulder, "we've come all this way- he was shot at millions of times at war.. I'm not gonna let him die the day.. The day he comes home." Tears flooded my eyes, I still looked around for Amy, Tom, Netty and Ash. None were in sight. Must have been the morphine.
After I was dragged back to my original place I slept with the kids beside me. I didn't remember my dreams, but I woke when Nicole woke me.
"Um, Dave, someone's here.." She whispered,
"David." I recognised the voice, "didn't think it'd be so soon. What happened?" It was John.
"John!" I said, smiling, getting up in my bed.
"Hey- sorry to wake you- that's a nasty cut you've got there, oh look at your kids." I smiled, looking down at my precious children.
"David, I- Lucy.. She told me that you... That.." My smile felt bigger than my face. We hugged, "you lying bastard, you! Ganging up with my daughter!" I laughed, "squid." He sighed, shaking his head, "what's going on?"
"We were at Joes house, I noticed that there was someone at the door, I told Joe. But there were four cars so I was a bit concerned so- Joes girlfriend, Beth and I stayed just a bit behind Joe as he answered the door, only one man came out, he asked if Joe killed the Seeker leader, Joe said yes, then the man asked to speak to him in privacy. So Beth and I went back inside, until a couple minutes later I hear Joe yelling, we ran outside and all the cars were leaving, Joe was on the ground covered in blood, I noticed something flashing red on top of Joe, but.. But Beth just ran and then everything just.. Went.. They were blown up, it was just a small hand bomb but.. Have you seen them?"
"N-no.. Where are they?" John said, I looked at his concerned face,
"Just next door.. They.. They're in bad shape.." I said. John sighed, "and are you alright?" He asked,
"I'm grand, just.. Bit of an overdose." I laughed,
"You be careful..." I sighed, "What are their names?" He asked, looking at the children.
"Rosie and.. And James.." I said, looking down at them.
"Gorgeous, the name James.. Is it-" I nodded before he could finish. He just smiled,
"Alright, well good luck to you all, and- what was it? You only happen once-" he smiled at Nicole, and shook my hand,
"Enjoy this happening." I finished. He winked at me before walking into the other room.