1: The Fall

31 Dec 2015

Stampys pov

"Joe help me!" Beth called from the phone.
I sped up in my car, rushing, "Beth what is it?!" I asked,
"Joe!" She cried, panting, "Joe I've fallen down the stairs I- I cant feel anything!"
"Don't worry hon," I assured, speeding up, "I'll be home soon as I can, okay?"
"I love you." She whispered, I could hear her whimpers: she was crying and in pain.
"You too." I responded. She hung up.
Putting my phone down, I clutched the gear stick. I narrowed my eyes, reaching the 80mph mark.
The road was icy. I skidded along the slippery bridge, crossing the river. I was only a couple minutes from my house now.
Sweating, I pulled up home.
Stepping out of my now muddy silver Audi. I unlocked the door to find her on the landing.
"Beth!" I cried, running up to her and putting my arms around her soft head.
Her eyes were sparkling blue and bright. I kissed her lips -it was the first time I had ever done it to her before. Her eyes fixed on my lips.
"Where does it hurt?" I asked her,
"My back." She moaned. Her eyebrows bending upwards in pain.
I lifted her up carefully. She rested her head on my left shoulder and my hands supported her back and legs.
I rested her on the bed and shifted a strand of hair out of her face,
"I'll call the ambulance, okay?"
She stared up at me with great big puppy eyes,
"They know what's best for you, Sqaish." I kissed her on her forehead and dialled the ambulance.
"Joe i.. I haven't uploaded a video yet." She whimpered,
"That's alright, it's the least of our worries now, I haven't either."  I admitted, smiling.
"Okay, ahh." She felt her back, her face tensed in pain,
"Do you think you've broken a bone?" I asked, feeling her neck.
Please say she hasn't broken her neck, please. Please don't let her be on a wheelchair oh please!
I heard the sirens of the ambulance squeaking in the distance, I opened the front door and breathed in the cold, soft and refreshing air of a Decembers night sky.
It was about eight o'clock. I guess we'll be celebrating new year's in the hospital.
Once the ambulance arrived outside the gates of my house, I opened them and the paramedics rushed in.
"Hiya.." A lady began, walking over to my girlfriend who lay on the bed, she had long blonde hair and obvious eyeliner.
"Beth." I introduced,
"Beth," she repeated, "okay can you talk me through what happened?"
Beth explained that she was working upstairs, and she walked downstairs to make herself some tea but she overestimated the size of a step and fell then she called me and continued to lie in pain till I came.
"So, what did you do?" The woman asked,
"When I came home I lifted her and put her on the bed." I said, truthfully.
"Alright, Beth how old are you?"
"Nineteen," she said, I didn't see how this was relevant.
"And where do you feel pain?" Beth was asked,
"Just.. Here." She felt her back.
"Okay let's get you to hospital." The woman stared at me, I followed them as they carefully lifted Beth onto a bed and into the ambulance.
As they drove the woman began to explain to us the issue,
"Right, so Beth, we will x-Ray you once we get to the hospital but we are almost certain you have fractured your spine," what! No! "-but don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds." Phew.. "If we do the injections and scans today you should be home by tomorrow evening."
Beth and I looked at each other, we smiled and sighed with relief.
"We will confirm in hospital, alright?" She said, we nodded, the ambulance stopped. We had arrived.
Beth was dragged into the hospital, I followed behind running until she was put into a scanning room.
Beth was x-rayed, she had indeed fractured a vertebrae in her spine.
"Would you like us to start tomorrow or tonight?" A nurse asked,
I looked at Beth, "can you hang on till tomorrow or is it really painful?" I asked her,
"We can give you a good position and comfort so you don't feel the pain while you sleep. You'll still be home if nothing goes wrong by about this time tomorrow if we start at mid day." She was told,
"Alright then." Beth said. "Tomorrow."
She was helped up onto cushions and pillows until she was perfectly comfortable.
"I'll ring your parents," I said, when everyone had gone,
"No- no don't they'll come down and it's a really long journey and they'll be worried." Beth explained,
"But.. Beth they're your parents."
"Okay.. Here I'll Skype them." She took out her phone.
"Here," I brought out her laptop which I grabbed quickly before she was taken away. "I thought you might like this."
She took the laptop smiling, "oh my god thanks so much," she kissed me on the cheek, i blushed slightly before pulling out my own laptop.
"Had you pre-recorded your video?" I asked,
"No, but I mean I can go server surfing on my laptop. So I could just upload one of them." She said,
"Good idea, but are you sure your okay?" I asked her,
"I've only broken my back love, I'll be alright. I'll tell you if any things wrong." She said,
"Only broken your back," I laughed, putting my arm around her neck, "you can just go to bed, they won't mind."
"No stamps, don't your realise what day it is?" Then I remembered,
"New Years eve..." I sighed, looking out the small window at the side of the building.
It was dark, you couldn't see the stars because of all the lights and pollution in the city. I wish I was back in the country where I was born. I wish Beth and I could live in the little house I once lived in by the sea, 25 years ago. Every night I looked out my window, I saw the stars way outside, and I once saw a shooting star. I wished.. Oh how does it matter anymore.. I wished for a friend, because I never had one. Because no one understood me. No one cared.
I guess my wish came true then. I've got loads of them, and loads of people who want to be my friend. I guess I'm too popular..

It was almost midnight. I sat on a chair beside Beth's bed. We watched the countdown on Beth's laptop. We had both uploaded a video, despite my arguments with Beth, she refused not to upload a video, though it was a short one, at least.
When the countdown got down to ten Beth whispered slowly the descending numbers along with the crowd in London.
"Five, four, three, two, one.."
I gradually nudged my hands onto Beth's cheeks, looking into her eyes I felt her hands on my shoulder. We broke into a smile before our foreheads touched, and little by little, my bottom lip collided with her top lip, and we kissed. My eyes closed as I heard the cheers throughout the hospital and the banging of fireworks in the distance.
Even after we broke up the kiss Beth continued to stare at me with her bright blue eyes,
"Happy new year, Sqaishey quack." I whispered, smiling.
"Happy new year, Stampylongnose." She giggled.
I tucked her up into her hospital bed before slouching in my chair beside her. I checked my laptop one last time before attempting to sleep.
"Let's make this year one to remember." I said to her,
"2016 the year of the cat and the duck." Beth laughed, I laughed with her.
But I had no idea how much I would change this year.
I had no idea what would happen...

...MAC: HAPPENINGS...