35: Time

Davids POV

As I walked down the stairs I met Beth on her way back up, on the phone to the ambulance.
"I'm gonna go home now." I said. Standing up.
"What- but you're worse off than Joe."
"No- no I'm not." I clutched my head, standing up. "I'll see you later, Beth."
Tears plummeting from my face, everything in my life just seemed to be falling apart again as I walked back towards my house, just willing for my consciousness to remain till I got back to Nicole.

I arrived home after 1am. I realised that I had several missed calls from Nicole.
I walked upstairs to find her on the bed on her phone.
She took one look at me, "David! What happened!?" That's when I put my hand against the wall and fell to the floor.

Nicoles POV

I moved David into an upright position and brought some tissues and clothes to wipe him up with.
When David became conscious again I asked him what happened.
"I don't know... " he shivered. He was cold. I took off his bloody clothes and wrapped him in our duvet.
His stomach was bruised and his eyes were a dark purple colour. Blood still poured from his nose and lips.
"Did Joe do this to you?" I asked, feeling his face. Tears flooded his blood shot eyes.
"He did.. Didn't he.."
"He wasn't in control of himself. He was having.. He was having a mental breakdown. He is being brought to hospital." David said, tears were streaming down his face, he was panicking. I'd never seen him like this before.
"Reckon I have to take you to hospital." I said.
"Please, no I just want to go to bed."he sighed.
At that I put a towel on the bed as he was still bleeding and helped him up.
When he was more relaxed I took a look at his stomach which was bruised and bloody. I gave him a sympathetic look.
"Dave.. " I began, wiping his tears.
"my dads dead." He said, looking plainly at the wall in front of him.
"W-when did this happen? How?!" I asked, completely unaware of his fathers death.
"About a year ago.. He was captured.." He said, before covering his mouth with his hand and crying. I kissed him on the cheek, hugging him and lying down beside him.
"It's gonna be okay.." I whispered, as his shoulder juttered while he cried, "it's gonna be okay..." It was the last thing he heard before he went to sleep.
*****

DAVIDS POV

When morning came I sat up. My vision blurred. I rubbed my eyes but it hurt immensely. I stood up and Nicole noticed me,
"I'm going to the hospital to visit Joe." I said,
"David- but you look awful."
"I don't care. Look after the kids- please." I got changed quickly into a t shirt and trousers with a hoodie. I lifted my phone, it was 9 o'clock. The kids were up and getting their breakfast but my face was so hideous that I didn't want them to see it.
I ran out to the truck and drove my Mercedes out of it. I then locked the truck and drove as fast as I could to the hospital. I caught my eye in the wing mirror, I looked horrible. I could taste blood in my mouth, my eyes were dark purple and I had dried blood around my nose and mouth.
If the hospital saw me like this they would have brought me in somewhere, but I just wanted to visit my friend.
Once I got there I pulled up quickly. Locking my car, I ran towards the entrance of the hospital.
"Hello could you tell me where Joseph Garrett is please?" I asked,
"Y-yes but we must see to you-"
"No- honestly I'm fine, please I need to see him!"
"Right.. He's on floor 2 cubical 1."
This was handy. He was just up the stairs.
I ran up the stairs and there were the curtains. I slowly opened the curtains just enough for me to get through.

JOES POV

David walked in. This shocked me, he came before anyone else.
He looked so awful, I felt unbelievably bad. His two eyes were darkened purple and his pupils were blood shot. His nose had a large wound on it and dried blood speckled around his nose and outer lips. There was also a small cut along the bridge of his eyebrow.
This was all me. I caused him all this pain!
"Joe. I think now you owe me an explanation." He said, his tear line was greying and under his eyes were smudged, he had been upset.

DAVIDS POV

I looked to Joe, something seemed so badly wrong. He lay on his bed before he clutched his chest.
All was quiet.
Silent.
Yet so horribly quiet.
My brain felt like it was spinning in a circle.
I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.
I collapsed onto the ground.
Darkness. So much darkness.
Endless darkness.
I heard people calling me. I heard my mother my father, I heard music, beautiful, slow, orchestral music.
It was sad.
Like the end of my story.
When Ash sat beside me and held my hand...
So sad.
So lonely.
So desperate.
So-
"David!! David get up!"
I blinked my eyes open, everything still seemed a dark red colour, I couldn't see.
After about 20 seconds my vision came back to me, I slowly stood up and faced Joe once again.

"You aren't well too, are you?" Joe said. I sat on the end of his bed and sighed. "I'm fine."

"What happened to us?" He said, "why are we now so depressing and unwell people."
"Why are we so negative."

This made me think.

"D-David." Joe gasped,
"Yeh?"
"C-can you call someone?"
"Course, who?"
"A doctor!"
I looked over at him quickly, his eyes turned almost grey,
"Joe?! Joe what's happening?!?" I yelled, putting my hands on his shoulders.
"M-my chest, my heart I'm-"
I ran out of the cubical,
"Help! Please!" I was sweating.
"Joe!" I gave him a slap on the face to distract him.
"Joe keep your eyes focused on me! Look at me! Don't close your eyes!" His breathing was loud and quick,
"Look, look into my eyes! Keep focused on me! Concentrate Joseph! Please! Joe!!"
Panicking, I yelled with all my might, "HELP!!"
Suddenly a crowd of nurses and doctors and all those sort of surgeons came running in.
"He's having a heart attack." One said,
"Like I haven't bloody gathered that!! Help him!"
I ran over to Joe again.
"Joe keep focused on me, just look at me keep looking at me! Keep your eyes fixed on me, please!"
I saw his eyes closing slowly.
"Joe! Joe don't do this to me! You only happen once Joe! Enjoy this happening! Don't waste it! Don't let me go! Please Joe! Keep your eyes opened!"
A tear flew down my eye as his eyes closed.
"Um.. I think we better get you checked out.." Someone said,
"Do you even want to go there?" I muttered. I sat down on a chair beside Joes bed as my life was slowly torn apart. All the staff crowed around him, defibrillators at hand they looked at monitors.
My friend. Was ready to die.