2: A Heart At Fault A World At Fault

Stampys POV

By the time I woke up, Beth was gone.
I panicked when I didn't see her beside me on the hospital bed. I suppose I didn't get to sleep until after 3am because of how uncomfortable the chair was.
I searched around for Beth, I found that most of her nurses were crowding outside a door, I poked my head through to see what was going on.
There she was, tubes and wires pressed into her and surrounded by surgeons.
I was afraid, afraid of loosing her.
I got a call, I didn't want to answer it but it was from David, otherwise known as iBallisticSquid: probably one of my best friends.
I answered the call,
"Hey Stamps, I heard about Sqaish is she alright?"
"Yeh, well.. She's having the operation now, I thinks she's got another two or three hours to go in there."
"Awk Jesus, what happened?"
"Fell down the stairs."
"We're you there or.."
"Nah I was away at a meeting. I was in the car when she called me."
"Jeez, well my loves to all of you, I'll hopefully go and see you guys soon."
"You too mate," I replied,
"Take care of yourself mate, bye."
"Bye."
I hung up. Realising how nice that was of him to ring me up. I'd tell Beth that when she got out.. If she got out. I don't know why but for some reason I don't feel that anyone can get put to sleep and wake up again. It just seems so unlikely. Though millions of people have been put to sleep I have a phobia of never waking up, I was especially afraid now that my girlfriend on a sleeping drug.

I decided to go out for a coffee in the hospital. I made my way down the stairs but to my disappointment someone recognised me.
"Hey are you Stampy?" The boy looked about twelve, his hair may as well not have been there it was so short. He wore a green Mini Muka t-shirt and black track suits.
"N-no." I said, walking away.
"Y'sound like 'im." He called back,
"I am not Stampy right now!" I retaliated a little too harshly. The boy looked at me in shock, "sorry.. I've just. Had a bad day."
"No, I'm sorry, sir. I- I understand." He said, looking down. I felt so bad, my stomach felt empty.
"Wanna come down for a coffee with me?" I offered him,
"Uh.. I've got no money.." He said,
"No worries, I'll pay." I said,
"N- no I couldn't possibly-"
"I'll pay, it's the least I can do." I said, smiling.
"Okay then."
We walked down to the main entrance where loads of people crowded up the area. I asked him where he'd like to go, he said he didn't mind. We went to Starbucks, I bought him a hot chocolate and I got a cup of tea.
"When I grow up I'm gonna be a doctor.. So I can help everyone.." The boy told me, making me smile.
"So, what have you been doing in this hospital.. If you don't mind me asking." I said,
"Uh.. My mum, she- she's got cancer. I'm an only child and i dunno my dad. So I was just wondering about I guess."
"I'm.. Really sorry," I said,
"M-mind if I ask why you are here?" He said, politely. I didn't want to tell him, however it only seemed fair to explain.
"Y..y'know Sqaishey.. Well," I took a breath, "well she broke her back yesterday.. So she's having an operation today.. Please, just- don't speak about it to anyone."
"Never. Never. Besides I've got no one to speak about it to." He said, sipping his hot chocolate.
This stunned me.
This boy is an only child, with a single mother who has cancer and no friends.
"Don't you have friends at school?" I asked,
"Uh huh.." He sighed, biting his lip, "listen, it's really been great speaking to you but, I have to go-" he stood up,
"Wait! Wait.. I don't even know your name!"
"It's Noah." He said, stopping,
"Well, Noah. Your the strongest person I've ever met," he faced me, "I'm gonna remember you."
"I'll remember you." He whispered, "thanks."
"Hey- here's my number." I started to write it out on a piece of paper,
"I'd take it but I don't have a phone.." He said, I shivered. I was embarrassed and shocked.
"H-here's my address then.." I slowly wrote out my address, knowing the dangers.
I was about to tell him not to give it to anyone else, but I knew he wouldn't.
"Write to me any time." I told him.
Noah just smiled at me, he knew I trusted him.
I walked up the steps again towards the cubicles. We got to the floor where both our loved ones were, I saw a woman's body being covered, someone had died.
Noah's eyes widened, he ran away from me,
"Mum? Mum! MUM!" He ran up to the body, unveiling a womanly figure,
"No! No she can't be! No!" The doctors pulled him back, I put my hands over my mouth trying not to cry.
"Please mum! Stay with me! Please!"
I took him away from his last moments with his mum. This is my fault he's so upset and shocked. What have I done?

Sqaisheys POV

I woke up, my back was still in pain.
I opened my eyes, there were no nurses.
I looked over to Joe. He had his hands over his eyes and lent his elbows on his knees. Tears rolled along his face like raindrops on a window.
"Joe?" I whispered, he put his hands down and sniffed,
"Beth, you're okay." He sighed with relief,
"You okay?" I asked, he couldn't have cried that much about me, In fact I've never seen him cry before.
"Yeh just.. " he shook his head, "come here." He kissed my cheek,
"How are you love?" He asked me,
"I'm getting there."
One of the surgeons came over,
"Hiya, we will be putting you in a brace for the next month or so, we'd advice that you exercise daily, but remember don't push yourself too hard, feel free to just lie down, make sure you lie on your back or your stomach, not side on while it's healing, give it a couple months."
"Okay.. What exercises?" I asked,
"A Physiotherapist will be coming around in a couple of minutes to show you how to do them and give you a sheet. Okay?"
"Yep," I nodded, "thanks a lot."

Stampys POV,

I still felt awful, that poor boy Noah.. He's just lost everyone..
When the physiotherapist came I went on my phone. I logged on to Twitter. It was going mad.
Massive attack on Europe, soldiers currently fighting but there aren't enough. Volunteers needed.
My eyes widened, what on earth is going on.
All capital cities have been bombed in Europe by a race from all over the world known as "the seekers" The motive of these terrorists is unknown. Over 1000 confirmed dead. 20,000+ missing figures rising rapidly.
My face dropped in shock.
Apparently these people have bombed London. Our nearest big city. My heart tensed, the seekers could bomb here... They could hurt Sqaishey and my family.. I've got to do something!