Chapter 22 - The Race

Start from the beginning

Everyone gathered around the sides to see both of us lined up, I was on the left and she was on the right. I looked towards the round circle around me and gulped, it was a big circle. Moreover, suddenly I felt queasy and I hope I didn’t break down right there and then.

“Ok, this is how it goes we run around the track twice. And whoever wins is the one who dates Jethro from now on.” Cara shouted as loud as possible as if everyone had to know why.

I mentally slapped myself; I can’t back out now. I needed to do this not for that boy but for me. To, show her I can do this with bullies like her. I was not going to show her my weak side, that was only for me and probably the boys, as they saw me break down at least many times I can remember.

“Ready!” I heard a brunette getting ready to whistle

We both looked at each other, and nodded as a nice gesture. This was ok with me. Then I froze, I saw the people piling up now. I felt pale and I was worried now. There was a herd of them coming towards us to see, and I wasn’t ready for a show. I was only fooling myself now, this couldn’t be happening, I knew right then I would fail.

I looked around the buildings that casted around us, and I saw a pair of eyes that I thought I wouldn’t see today at all. And I gulped he was looking at me, he was watching. Moreover, I didn’t know what to do wave? Nope I was a bit likely to be waving at a brick wall, if I planned to do that. However, I saw him his eyebrows crushed together in a curious gaze, I saw him bite his lip in a nervous jester he was worried, I saw it in his face and that made me happy for some reason.

I looked back at the girl and thought maybe it was time, to get rid of the fear of running away. All the time, maybe it was time to stand my ground. I felt more and more anticipated right now. I felt like I can do it, if I slowed my pace and does it right, I know I could do it!

“READY!” I heard the girl say

We bother went down; I felt the bead of sweat on my head already.

“STEADY!” the girl said again

We both stuck our butt out in motion and hoped it would set off; I know I won’t be as fast as her but I can show her who was boss.

“GO!” I heard the whistle right there

And that’s when my left foot left the ground and my body held itself up right, I was running I felt the breeze as it hit my face. I saw Cara ahead of me by 10 steps more and I was slacking this wasn’t good. I bent my head forward as I hunched my shoulders and ran with more force. I was nearly close to her, I was so close I could feel it in my bones. However, she breezed past me too quick and I nearly died.

I was running out of breath, I saw a haze of people’s faces and I felt sick. This wasn’t how I wanted a Friday to be, but nothing in my life was right anyway. I was still running as slow as possible I was running out of fuel, I cursed so many times. I passed Mason and saw his concerned face saw him, he was biting his fingernail and I couldn’t help but laugh. This was more intense than I thought, more over it felt enjoyable for some reason.

I saw Cara look back at me as I laughed; I couldn’t help it. This was just too damn funny for me. I was still sweating, beads of sweat made its way across my back. I felt it trickle down and I shivered. It was cool, but icky at the same time which wasn’t nice. But my face was burning under the sun, I was probably red as a tomato. And my ponytail was nearly coming out, we were coming closer to the first lane. And when I looked again I saw Cara rush passed it quicker than I expected.

“Come on Raquel!” I heard two girls shout my name ,and I saw Anthea and Sierra jump up and down I smiled

Ok this was it, this was our second lane we were nearly finishing, it felt to quick to even remember. I felt my knees nearly give me out, this wasn’t good. I was getting tired too quick even after all the running, I felt the need to remember how it was back when I was a kid. Always running from the bullies, the ones who pushed me, beat me, and did everything in their soul to hurt me. Moreover, the anger fuelled my body, the anger which I kept in for so long for something. I was trying so hard to let go, I saw myself running closer to Cara and finally was able to go next to her.