Everyone Shut Up!

I stay there for a long time. Newt doesn't make me talk. I was in shock. I used to be good friends with Gally. Then he turned into a jerk, and we drifted away. But I never though he would get to the point of trying to kill me. And I love Thomas. After all that's happened to me the past couple days, you'd think he'd be more careful of his actions, but no. He was rough with me. He hurt me.

"Syd. Let's go get dinner, okay, love?" Newt asks, in a sweet smooth voice. I nod. Newt and I go to the cafeteria, where most of the gladers have already gathered. Newt gets our dinner while I wait on the bench by the door. Jeff comes up to me.

"Hey, we've got two burns you need to... hey what's up?" He says, noting my crying halfway through his sentence. I shake my head and wave him off. He sits down. Why are boys so stubborn?!

"What's wrong, beautiful?" He asks.

"Don't call me that," I mumble.

"Well, excuse me for trying to make you feel better,"

"Please, just leave," Newt comes up to us, holding two trays.

"What's going on?" He asks.

"I was trying to make her feel better, but she's being a stubborn bitch. Bet it's that time of the month," Jeff says, crossing his arms.

"Bloody hell, what's gotten into everybody?" Newt says.

"I know, right?" Jeff says, "The walls stay open and suddenly everyone's either a jerk or a bitch,"

"I'm not talking about Syd," Newt snaps. He hands me my tray and sets his next to me. He grabs Jeff and pushes him in a spot before standing up in front of everybody.

"Everyone shut up!" He yells across the large room. Silence waves over the entire glade.

"What's gotten into all of you?! I haven't had a decent conversation with anyone because everyone's is suddenly deciding no rules apply. Can someone tell me the three rules? Or do I need to remind you all of them, and what they mean?" He snaps. No one says a word.

"Alex! What's one rule?"

"D-Do your part," the scared boy chokes out.

"Know who here has done any work in the past couple days?!" Newt yells. Only the chefs, and a few select kids raise their hands.

"Frypan! What's another rule?!"

"Never harm another glader,"

"Exactly! So does harm have to be physical?" No response.

"I asked you a question!" He barks. An array of "no"'s come from around the room.

"So why is everyone here acting like they've got a stick shoved up their ass?!" No one says anything again.

"Liam? You've got an answer?" He says. The poor boy shakes his head. "Jeff? Clint? Scott? You've all been real foul to Sydney these past couple days!" They all look down, ashamed.

"And Frypan! I haven't had a conversation with you that doesn't make me want to punch you in the past couple days. Any reason for that?!" He looks down.

"Guys, we're almost out of here! If you can't stay together and help us with something we've been working toward for 3 years, then why even try at all?! Everyone gets back to work starting tomorrow!"

"I haven't seen you working!" A brave glader yells. You can see the fire gloss over Newt's eyes.

"I haven't been working?! What do you call trying to piece together the small bits left of the glade back together?! What do you call trying to find a way out?!" He snaps. Newt had snapped. They had pushed him too far today.