It's The Doors. They Aren't Closing...

We eat before Thomas goes outside. I hear Gally and him bickering. Then, I hear Alby groan. I walk over to his bedside. He was waking up. I untie all of the yellow straps and his eyes open.

"I-I got to go get Newt," I say, before bolting out the door. Thomas and Gally were now yelling at each other.

"Guys," I say. They keep yelling. "Guys!" I tell over them. They snap their attention to me.

"It's Alby. He's awake," Newt runs to he medstand, followed by me. I run in. Newt kneels down next to him as Gally, Chuck, Minho, Thomas, Teresa and a couple other gladers.

"Alby. You okay?" Newt asks. I kneel down, too.

"Alby?"

"It was you. The three of you. Thomas, Teresa, and you. You were always their favorites. You always got the attention. Epesically Thomas and Syd. They loved both of you while the rest of us had no real value to them,"

"A-Alby...." I say, placing a hand on his arm.

"Why'd you do this, Syd? Why'd you ruin our lives?"

"Y-You don't mean tha-at," I say. I hear screams and shouts from outside. We all run outside. I was on the break of crying. I didn't know Alby would change that much... Winston runs by us.

"Winston. What's going on?" Newt asks, stopping him.

"It's the doors... They aren't closing," at that moment all is run to the doors. Sure enough, they hadn't moved an inch. I grab Thomas's hand, terrified.

"Alright. Minho, Newt, grab every weapon you can find," Thomas says. The run off.

"Chuck, Gally, get some more gladers and start barricading the homestead," I say. They nod and run off, too.

"Clint, Jeff, get Alby to the homestead now," Thomas orders.

"Teresa, Syd, get to our room. I can't let you get hurt," he says, turning to me.

"Tom, we can fight,"

"I know you can. But there aren't any giant doors to crush a griever in this time. Please. I couldn't live with myself if you got so much as a cut," I give him a hug before running back to the homestead and helping them barricade the doors and Clint and Jeff sit with Alby in his room - which was above mine. We get everything set up as more and more gladers start to come in. Minho and Newt come in with a bunch of weapons. We pile them in the hallway.

"Okay. 37 gladers - 6 rooms. About 6 gladers per room. So Chuck, Newt, Minho - my room. Gally, Troy, Dave - Alby's room," I sort everyone out and they barricade the individual doors once everyone's in. Chuck sits down on the ground in my room. Posey was in there with us, too. Chuck looked terrified. I sit down next to him and call Posey over. He sits in my lap. I wrap my arm around Chucks shoulders.

"Hey, we'll be okay, Chucky," I say. He lays his head against me.

"I don't think you mean that," he says.

"Come on, Chucky. You got to have hope," I pull him into my chest and give him a huge hug. Everyone was in here except Tom. And I was scared to death. But I had to be strong for Chuck. I ruffle his curly hair before pulling away. I place Posey in his lap and he starts playing with him. I smile and go over to Newt, wanting a little comfort for myself. He wraps his arm around me as I cuddle into his chest. He was like a protective big brother. And I loved him - not in a romantic way, though.

"You think he's okay..?" I whisper.

"I hope. I can't cross Tommy's name off the wall this quick,"

"I want to go help him,"

"No, Syd, I can't risk losing you. I can't lose my best friend,"

"Newt, I can't lose him. I-It's just something about him that makes my heart melt every time I see him. If he died... I-I-"

"Alright. Go help Tommy," I give a small smile and give him a huge hug.

"I love you, Newt,"

"Love you, too, Syd," I get up and walk out the door. I peek outside to see Tom and one other boy running for their life. Tom pushes him in the direction of the homestead and runs the other way, trying to get the griever away from him. But, the griever takes a turn and runs toward the boy. Thomas runs to try and help him. I run out to the boy. But the griever get him first. It grabs him and runs back to the maze. The doors still don't close. Tom tries to run back to the boy, but I grab him and pull him to the homestead.

"You know there's no hope for him," I say. I pull him in and push the barricades against the main door. I pull him to our room and push those barricades closed.

"Lewis... He...He's-" I start saying. Newt nods.

"It's okay. These nothing you could've done. So the grievers gone?" I nod.

"The doors are still open. I say everyone stays in here until the close.," I say. He nods.

"I agree. So... 36 gladers now?" He asks. I nod, tears in my eyes. I push them back fast, not wanting to scare Chuck. Posey had fallen asleep in his lap. I grab Thomas and Newt and pull them into the hall way.

"Can we tell him?" I ask Newt. "About the keeper thing?"

"Sure,"

"Okay so Tom. There are tunnels connecting every building in the glade. Made for emergencies like this. I need both of you to come with me to get some supplies. I want fabric and leather so I can start sewing bags for everyone. We're obviously going to have to abandon the glade. And we can't go empty handed,"

"You're right, Syd. I won't be much help. I can't even walk right," Newt says. "I'll go and stay with everyone else," I nod and pull Thomas into the tunnels. We get to the storage shed and he helps me carry a bunch of fabric and supplies. I also grab a knife and a piece of wood. Carving always calms Chuck down. We carry it back and I start my work. Thomas give chuck the wood and starts talking to him. I finish two backpacks and a duffle bag before climbing into my bed. Teresa climbs into hers. Chuck lays on the ground and cuddles up with Posey. Newt finds a spot on the ground and pulls an extra blanket over himself. Tom climbs into bed behind me and wraps his arms around me. Soon enough, Teresa, Chuck, and Minho are all asleep.

"I'm not the only one who's absolutely terrified, right?" I whisper.

"Nope," Tom says.

"I've only been this scared one other time in my life," Newt adds.

"How are we even going to get out?"

"Minho and I - we found this thing in the maze. You heard the walls changing. It's a direct path to it now. It's a way out - but we just, we just don't know how to get the last door open," Tom says.

"What'd you do when you got back?"

"We just mapped it. That's all we ever do. You saw the trunks of maps in the room,"

"Yeah. I'm tired. I'm just going to try to sleep," I whisper. I flip over and nuzzle up to Thomas.

"Night Syd," newt says from the other side of the room.

"Goodnight, Newt. Night Tom,"

"Goodnight, baby," he whispers, pressing a kiss to my forehead. I close my eyes as Tom pulls the sheets up over my shoulders. My eyelids start getting heavy, but knowing their could be a griever here at any second, I can't fall asleep. I lay awake until the sun starts peeking through the window. I climb out of Tom's grip and make my way to the tunnel entrance. I take the tunnel to the kitchen and grab a crate of apples. I also grab a chunk of meat and cook it. I place it in a bowl and carry it back to the homestead. I get into the room and give Posey the meat that I cooked. I place 9 apples on top of my dresser and go around putting 9 in each room. I go back to my room and grab an apple. I start eating, praying for a peaceful morning. Praying I can love to get out of this wretched maze.