Chapter 29 - The Bucket List

ابدأ من البداية

I agree 'no judgment' and she hands me the list, and her eyes never leaves mine. Scanning the paper, part of it broke my heart, but to think she wants to experience this before she's married makes me excited for her.

She pulls out her pen and crosses off three things, and hands to back. "I took care of these with Helen today."

10). Shop alone
17). Eat alone in a public place
23). Arrive somewhere unescorted

"Helen took me to the mall after my last test. I shopped by myself as she went to do her own thing." Her smile is infectious as I watch her talk. "I bought this. Sans Joel's input." Her eyebrows went up, and I quickly let her know she had done a great job.

"Eating alone in public?"

"It was just mall food, but I sat at a table and ate, watching people go by. I wasn't nervous. It was kind of fun." I love this girl. "I called a taxi to bring me here, tonight. Joel was gone, and he thought Helen was going to stay with me. Or I doubt he would have left. Helen offered to bring me, but I told her it was on the list, and she backed off."

"Why didn't you drive? Ask to borrow Helen's car?" I know Addyson doesn't own a vehicle.

"Look at my list." I scan the list; it's not that extensive, but I read each entry. Some of this has to be in code, because I really don't understand what it means, but... "You don't know how to drive?" She just shrugs her shoulders.

"I barely had my permit to drive before I graduated from high school, a downside of a late birthday, but I never really got a chance to practice or get my license. There hasn't been a need until now, and I really expected I would live in New York or Boston for - well, ever. Plans change, and I need to adapt." She reaches over and touches my hand. "Papa is going to teach me, again, and Joel is going to let me practice."

"How about me?"

"No, I have a few I need your help with, but I want to do some of this without you." Her eyes soften as she processed here words and how it sounded. "You know what I mean...Are you ok with that?"

"I am. Actually, I've very proud of you." I hand the list back to her and say, "Let me know what you need. You've got me."

---

"Do you trust me?" She asks with a hint of mischievousness. "Implicitly."

"Good, follow me." She says as we leave the restaurant, and we walk two blocks to the piano bar we had gone to this past summer. Holden and Jillian motion us over, letting us know Joel and Helen are on their way. Elliot comes over from the bar with a glass of wine of Addyson. "I wasn't sure what you wanted," he tells me, and I let him know I was ok for now.

Addyson removes her wrap, and my fingers enjoy the feel of her skin as I begin to make small circles on her back. She and Jillian are in deep whisper conversations as I catch up with Elliot. Shortly after Joel and Helen arrive, the whole place is crowded.

After a quick stern look from Joel, he embraces Addyson as she apologizes. He steps back to look her over, approving of her dress. I can hear him tell her she no longer needs him as he wipes away fake tears. He boasts that he's a proud daddy today...his little girl is all grown up.

Helen takes Addyson with the promise of returning her in a few minutes. As they leave I shake my head at the girls and their inability to go the bathroom alone. From across the room, I watch my very sexy fiancé stop and talk to people at a few tables.

The little black dress emphasis every sinful curve of her body. I quickly look around to see if anyone else is looking at her like that. Joel gives me a smirk that tells me he knows what I'm doing. My eyes go back to Addyson as Helen is busy introducing her to some people, but she is doing the same to my sister. She looks so at ease...so happy....so beautiful.