Chapter 29 - The Bucket List

Start from the beginning

"OK, good. You haven't made on Cantrell, yet."

"No."

"Addyson is waiting for you at Copper Grill. She's alone." He explains she had texted him. She had been trying to get in touch with me to leave a message, but her phone kept dropping the call. Part of our last fight was her venting that she feels crowded. She hasn't been alone in more than nine months. Hasn't done anything, but go to class, alone for over a year and a half. (Which was when she lived in Boston.)

I told her that being alone or not being alone has been her choice these past months. She's been enjoying the company of others and not really assessing what it has done to her independence. Considering how she was acting this past few days, Joel and I aren't convinced she is ready, and Holden agreed.

"What changed?"

"Your sister."

"Shit." If anyone is going to push her, it's going to be Helen. I turn at the next light making my way down 3rd Avenue to Copper's. I'm not worried anything is going to happen to her. I'm worried that she will not feel comfortable out in public, alone. Hell, she hasn't even been home alone, yet. Aren't there stages in which she should try something new?

I'm also worried that the stress of finals is not the best time to spread her wings. Some time between now and the wedding she's going to have to do this, it doesn't have to be today.

She's waiting outside the door of the restaurant, looking absolutely beautiful in a black dress and wrap. Her hair is pulled back away from her face and hangs in curls down her back. All I can think is 'lips to neck.'

"Hi," she smiles at me as I approach.

"You changed your mind." I say half wanting to yell, half wanting to kiss my stubborn fiancé.

"No, I just don't remember agreeing with you guys." She gives me a wicked smile, and I'm not even mad at her. She's ok. She's comfortable. "Are you mad?"

"No, I was worried this was too soon. Maybe you were doing this as a reaction to an argument." She looks so happy, with life, with herself.

She shrugs her shoulders and tilts her head, "No, I'm good. I've been here less than an hour. Our table is ready. Shall we?" She locks her fingers around my elbow and we enter the restaurant. She opens her wrap to reveal a black dress with like a silver and purple beaded collar - kind of looks like a necklace. Just the right amount of flashy for her. I let her know she looks beautiful, and she adjusts my tie and tells me the same thing.

She takes off her wrap and folds it neatly over her chair. I take in the full view of her black dress that emphasizes her amazing, curvy shape, and is open in the back. Her dress is not overtly sexy, it's more the body that's in the dress that makes it look so good. My eyes travel all of the wonderful skin I get to touch later, wondering if it feels as good as I remember.

As the waiter leaves to get our drinks and starters, she meets my eyes with an easy smile. "We have a lot to do over the next few weeks." I nod and tell her, "Yes we do."

"I thought we could talk over dinner, finish later when things arise." I let her know that sounds good, and she retrieves a piece of paper from her purse. Containing my laughter didn't happen; my girl came with a to-do list.

"Helen calls this my 'bucket list' of things to do before I get married." I laugh and go for the paper, but she holds it to her chest. "Mine." She flashes me that wicked smile again.

"I know that some of the things on this list are a little different for someone my age, but it's my list." She gives me a half smile, and looks pensive. "Some are things I've never done, some I haven't done in a very long time, so no judgment." Even though she doesn't said it in words, I know she wants to take back what was taken from her.