Chapter 17: Prove it.

Start bij het begin

Enyo's heart began racing. "You knew he wasn't really going to die?" he snarled. All that worry and heartache for virtually nothing. It was all just a scheme orchestrated by his parents.

Moros nodded. "I should have known you'd still do nothing about it. Despite how much you say you love your brother, you didn't plan much in the way of vengeance against those who attacked him. You're completely useless."

Enyo's eyes flashed and, unbidden, green daemon fire sprang forth from his fingertips. The fire quickly burned through Moros's suit, and the villain winced as it singed his skin. Enyo let go of his father, but the flames still danced along his fingers.

"Do you know which hero it was who tried to kill him?"

"Artemis. Goddess of Animals." Moros eyed his son for once with a semblance of admiration. He was clearly unaware of how close Enyo was to the fire spirits. Being able to summon them at will was one thing, but having instant access to their power was a major game changer.

Enyo nodded. "I'm not useless," he said. "I'm still your son."

"Prove it."

****

"I want you to prove that you've really joined the villain's side," Eris said to Phaeton. They stood in front of a fancy tuxedo shop. Passing shoppers gave the pair funny looks because one of them was naked. "You have to rob this store blind."

"Okay. But can I ask them to fit me before I admit that I'm robbing them?"

Eris rolled his eyes. "Fine. I'll be waiting at the café across the road."

Eris, turning around quickly, marched across towards Calypso's coffee shop. He sat down at a table, and watched as Phaeton entered the tuxedo shop. His butt cheeks disappeared into the shop along with the rest of him. Eris tried hard to supress his laughter. He didn't really think the hero would succeed with the robbery, but he decided to give him a chance anyway.

Eris jiggled his foot up and down as he waited. Impatience was one of his strong suits. There was a newspaper on the table in front of him. He picked it up to properly read the front page article. The headline was typically about Zeus and his generosity and what type of shampoo he used on his facial hair to make it so luxurious. The picture of Zeus sickened Eris; he wore tight gold shorts and more jewelry Eris had seen in his lifetime draped on his neck and fingers and wrists. He lounged on a puffy cumulus cloud like an underwear model. His white hair and beard seemed to overflow from the tanned skin of his face and head. It was long and silky and the wispy tendrils of it enveloped the cloud so it was hard to tell where the cloud and the hair began. Eris slapped the paper back onto the table and jabbed his pointed fingernail into Zeus' forehead. After effectively shredding the front page, Eris saw another rather interesting article in the tattered hole he created. He turned to page six and saw a small article on a new group of super villains. It only took up a tiny corner of the page.

ROGUE VILLIANS AT LARGE

Classified sources believe that a new group of super villains are responsible for the murders of five humans. Two of the victims were turned to stone, and the other three were torn apart by what is believed to be a large, reptilian beast. Representatives for the Super Villain Preparatory School were not aware of the crimes, and denied that their students and staff had anything to do with it. Villains love taking credit for their murders, so there is reason to believe that the representatives spoke the truth. There are rumors that a former Olympian hero turned villain may be behind some of the mischief. Rest assured that the heroes of Athens will work tirelessly to put these foul criminals behind bars.