Chapter 13 - Sweet Misery

A/N: I know I've been horrible with updating because I've been super busy with school, and I've been sick, but here's the nice long chapter you've all been waiting for. Thank you for reading and voting and fanning! I love you all so much :)

Phaeton turned away from the brother and sister and took off from the ground, flying towards the storm. He didn’t have a plan as to where he was going, but he figured he could stop at one of the small islands surrounding Greece to wait out the storm before leaving the continent altogether. Just as he came to a decision the wind picked up and blew him off course. He was forced to fly west in the direction of the mountains.

The sight of Mount Olympus made him sick. He did not want to see the birth place of those infernal heroes ever again. He tried to turn around, but the rain pelted him from a slanted direction making it difficult to see. He flew higher, and the precipitation turned to ice crystals that sliced at his exposed face and arms. He hugged the villain closer to his chest and turned around, riding with the wind in a westerly direction. The rain was bone chilling, but Phaeton was so numb to the world that he didn’t feel a thing.

He flew full tilt towards a copse of trees at the bottom of the mountains. His feet sunk into the muddy ground as he landed. There were many caves at the base of Mount Olympus and he only had to walk a few feet to spot one. He hurried inside the mouth of the cave and kicked some stones away from a dry patch of ground so he could set Eris’ limp body down.

            Now that he was sheltered from the rain he realized that he had been crying the whole time he was outside. His eyes were sore and swollen, but he couldn’t stop the tears as he stared down at the villain. He removed his t-shirt and squeezed the water out of it before bending down to put it on the villain, and then he did the same with his jeans. His clothes didn’t fit Eris but they were better than nothing. He stood above the villain and watched as the cut on his neck started to stain the hero’s white t-shirt red. He crumpled to the ground his body quaking with sobs as he pulled Eris’ body towards him and hugged it as tight as he could.

            “I wonder if you could have ever loved me,” he said leaning his head down to press his lips to the villain’s for one last grim kiss goodbye.

            Eris was trapped in the darkness. He couldn’t feel or see anything. He felt wanted to stay in the darkness and sleep for eternity. That was until he caught the scent of the most delightful substance he ever experienced. It was unexplainable how delicious the scent was. The sweetest fruit? The most savory dessert? Whatever the scent was it awakened him from his stupor instantly. He needed to find the source. He would follow it into the depths of Hades’ pit if necessary.

            Just as Phaeton was about to pull away from Eris, the villain’s hand jerked up and grabbed the back of his head, and pulled him closer so their lips were millimetres apart. Eris opened his mouth and took a deep breath as a thick blue mist of Phaeton’s sadness seeped from the hero’s mouth to Eris’ lungs. He took breath after breath, infusing himself with the thing his body craved most.

            Phaeton froze staring open mouthed at the villain as his waxy pallor turned rosy, and his white lips turned red. The hero looked down at Eris’ neck and the stab wound had stopped bleeding. “You’re alive!” He shouted. He gripped the villain by the shoulders and pulled him to his chest.

“Of course I’m alive, idiot. I’m immortal,” Eris rasped out. “Now let me go… I need more of you.” Phaeton had the villain in a crushing hug, but he let go so Eris could sit up properly in his lap.

            “You feed off emotions?” The hero asked.

            “Sadness mostly,” Eris replied. His voice was scratchy; barely a whisper as he spoke and Phaeton noticed that he winced as if each syllable was painful.